• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator Question Please Help!!

90xjblue

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 XJ, Can anyone tell me if on the alternator the output stud always has 12v or not. With the jeep running or not, I have been reading for over an hour and cant find an answer.

I am having trouble with the charging system on the jeep, I tested the B+ terminal on the back of the alternator and with the jeep not running it has no volts to it, with it running it has no volts to it. So i am trying to determine whether the brand new alternator is bad or if there is a bad connection between the battery and the alternator.

It doesnt make sense that when the jeep is on there is no volts at the back of the alternator AND with it off the is none??

The large positive stud? If you don't see any voltage there, then check the wire for continuity. That line is called a fusible link and there is a fuse in it (the bump in the wire), and if the fuse is blown you need another cable

Thanks, I figured this out, i traced the wire up to that relay or fuse block whatever it is and found it broke off its connector. Reattached and all is well, but i wasted 90$ on a new alternator! lol, least i have a spare now.

Back