• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Craigslist 4.0 Purchase, many ?'s.

shhuskins

NAXJA Forum User
So A about 6 months ago I purchased a 1996 XJ off CL with 180k miles. The poor fellow that owned it didn't have the slightest clue what could the wrong with it or why there was water in the oil. I hoped for the best and thought maybe I could get by with a Headgasket and gave him $350 for it. got the head off to discover piston #5 completely smashed. Both rockers for that cylinder appeared to be new so my conclusion was somebody screwed up the valves somehow and bam, no more running jeep :confused: I just last week found a 95 XJ motor for $150 the guy said his buddy rolled it and it had 150k on the motor I'm callin BS on that one but owell I thought for the price I could be ok. Got it in my buddies shop got the head off and all the cylinder walls seem to be fair except #2 is extremely for lack of my mechanic vocabulary corroded. It looks like maybe it had been miss firing for 50k miles and there is a ton of build up? Ok this rig is bone stock, I have an 88 Trooper that is my DD and I have high hopes of A pure wheeling rig, along with that I'm only 19, Married, Baby on the way, and we just opened up A new business I don't exactly have an excess of time or money. I had originally thought I'd buy it put a gasket set on it and drive the hell out of it but I think I'm shifting more towards I have it out and open and easily accessible what shoul I do while it's easy to work on? I'm going to drop the oil pan and clean everything I may change oil pump not sure. I want to do front and rear main seals. What can you advise me in either changing or at least inspecting while I'm this far into it. Any and all suggestions are greatly appriciated thank you,

I also noticed the 95 had 5/8 6 point head bolts and the 96 has 12 pt 1/2 inch, what else is different with the motors that I may need to change in order for it to be compatible with my 96 body and wiring harness.

How did the cylinder wall on the number 5 cylinder look could you just get away with honing it and use the piston and rod from the other motor an rering and bearing
it

Are the keith black Silv-O-Lite pistons a good option? not looking for top of the line extreme performance just a little something extra.

sounds like you could just combine the 2 engines. Im sure you can pick 6 good pistons out of the 12. Then take a cylinder hone to each block, use whatever one has the least scratches. Replace all rings and bearings. replace all gaskets. pick the best head. wash it . paint it pink.

Oh and check Rock Auto for parts. You can get brand name parts for cheaper or the same cost as the crappy vato zone parts, just may take a couple days. Interested to here what you end up doing!

6 out of 12 pistons should be no problem. . I have no choice but to use 95 block the 96 has a hole straight thru the wall on no. 5 it was depressing what I figured that out and i was hoping it was simply a head gasket no such luck. I have zero carankshaft/piston rotating assembly experience that being said i'm a pretty good mechanic at what I have done. And I'm a fast learner. Do you think with alot of manuals and internet reading I could be ok disassembling everything? what would I have to replace if a pulled the pistons? new rings or clips or anything? may be a stupid question but i'm not afraid to ask. If I did .020 over pistons I would get more power correct?

"If I did .020 over pistons I would get more power correct?"

Not really. I rebuilt my engine and had to have the cylinders bored due to wear. The smallest enlargement I could get away with was .030 overbore and this did not make a bit of difference in perceptible power. It's not worth the expense if you are just doing it to try and get more power from the engine.

Back