• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering question

vickin

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I had to replace my header because it cracked. I almost have everything put back together, however I am experience a problem. On the power steering bracket (the bracket that connects to the intake manifold, holds the power steering pump), there is a small bolt down low on the left hand side (TDC is marked right by it) that seems to not want to go in all the way. I marked all the bolts so i knew which ones went where. If I leave the bolt like it was, it would rub the belt. So i took the bolt out and looked at the threads, and halfway down there is a weld in the threads. What does that mean? Is that factory? With that weld on the threads, I cannot flush it up to the bracket. Do I buy a new bolt (same size) and install? I am just wondering why factory, or someone would do that? Vehicle: 92 xj.

one last thing, for belt tension, can I just use the 90 degree rule, or check for about 1 inch play between the alt and ac? I do not want to run to napa and get that gauge.

Thanks

here is a picture of the bolt I am talking about. the shinny part halfway down the threads is the weld.

photo.jpg

Get a new bolt. That is not weld, it is a piece of the nut/bracket it was screwed into. You could clean it up with a thread chaser or a three sided file.

Back