• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

auto and 5 speed computers the same?

cardinal

NAXJA Forum User
i have a obd1 4.0/ax15 and i think i fried my computer, i can get one off a member here but his is a obd1 4.0 aw4, i know there is a seperate tcu for tranny but are the engine computers the same?

For the 97+ XJs I know this to be true, they are the same. The diffences in the PCMs are emission based, i.e., Federal, California and Export. I believe it to be true for the 96- models as well. Hopefully Talyn will chime in. If anyone knows, he will.

If you have an AX-15 (5 speed) and you put a AW4 (automatic) computer in it should work.

the only thing I have seen on the older Cherokee's (OBD I) is that when you are switching from Auto to Stick you need to cross the park neutral safety switch wires together so it will start.

hope this helps a little

Old XJs it doesn't matter (96 and older) but new XJs (97+) do have different programming and WILL throw a trans code if they cannot locate a TCU on the CCD bus. Hate to say it o-gauge-steamer but you've got it backwards.

You should be able to put an auto OBD1 (and 96) ECU into a manual jeep of the same year and it will work fine. It won't need NSS wiring crossed because the manual jeep's harness is wired to work without an NSS in the first place.

What year is the jeep and what year is the ECU? Some years have different stuff with regards to O2 sensors (iirc, I am not sure if 95s had a downstream for instance) and there are differences concerning the fuel pump ballast resistor.

mine is a 93, the ecu is from a 91, i believe i fried my computer because auto shutdown and fuel pump relays click and the jeep wont start, it has good spark so it is not the cps. i have checked everything else

There are different computers for manual and auto but I don't know if it matters. For example the little upshift indicator light on the dashboard is driven by the manual ECM. I don't know how many of these differences there are or how important they are.

They probably looked at it backwards or misunderstood your question... their own catalogs contradict them.

Back