• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" RC w/ 33" TSL thornbirds?

Elcapitano

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 89 XJ with a 3" RC AAL lift. i currently only have 30x9.5r15 A/T tires on it. they are rather worn and was looking for larger. i know i can fit 31" just fine. but im wondering if anyone has been running 33x12.5r15on a 3" lift on stock rims, if not stock then how far is your BSing at? and how much fender trimming can i be expecting to do?

im only considering the 33's just because i can get them free. they are TSL thornbirds

theres a reason they are free

they suck.

don't run them.

but to run that size you need to trim/bumpstop and get some wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels with less backspacing. 3.25-4" is what most people run for a 12.5" wide tire.

i hate thornbirds... but for free... they are AWESOME!!!

this is what I did

3" RC basic kit with AAL

285/75/16 on 16x8 (4" bs) (measures 33.25 x 11.25 on the wheel)

lots of trimming

DSCF3339.jpg

DSCF3330.jpg

DSCF3192.jpg

This is my 97 with the 3.5" RE lift and bushwackers and 33x12.50r15 with 3.75" backspacing. You can fit them but you will NEED to trim and you will absolutely need new rims with a 12.50" tire I still rub just a little on my control arms at full lock. Older pre-97 body styles can get away with just a little larger tire and not rub as bad.

IMG_0102222.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0102226.jpg

IMG_0102223.jpg

i went from a rc3 to a RE3.5... and experienced a 1-1.5" lift differance without a heavy winch or plate bumper... dont allways trust the math.

i have an 89 XJ with a 3" RC AAL lift. i currently only have 30x9.5r15 A/T tires on it. they are rather worn and was looking for larger. i know i can fit 31" just fine. but im wondering if anyone has been running 33x12.5r15on a 3" lift on stock rims, if not stock then how far is your BSing at? and how much fender trimming can i be expecting to do?

im only considering the 33's just because i can get them free. they are TSL thornbirds

The biggest tire I fit on a stock rim was 11.5" wide. Any wider and it seems the tire will rub on the leaf spring and of course the front control arms when turning. The thornbirds have gnarly side tread and I'm sure it will get all ripped up by the leaf just leaving the shop.

Get at least a 1" wheel spacer for that size.

And a better tire. ;)

thornturds will fit with new rims and trimming. you could look for "deer hoof" rims they are for a ranger and 15x7 with 4.5" of backspacing will hit the edge of the stock flares width wise might rub a little on the LCA's mine do at full lock but i adjusted the stops and fixed that.

without trimming at all and 3" of lift this is what it looks like the front rubs bad on anything and everything

2011-07-01_17-11-12_431.jpg

with some minor internal trimming and stock flares it eats fenders in the front at 5". the rear is still at 3" and doesn't rub much to any.

IMG_3736.jpg

Back