• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Clutch fan

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
Just a quick question is it necessary to remove the serpentine belt to replace the clutch fan? My fan is on a hub bearing not the water pump. 2001 XJ, 4.0 I6, AW4, AC

Yes.

All XJ's with the inline 6 have the fans on the accesory pulley. The pulley is held on by the bolts that hold the fan clutch on.

except the 2.5L (not that most here would consider it an XJ with the four angry squirrels in there)

Yes, the 2.5L which is the inline 4 cylinder and I think the 2.8L V 6 have the fan connected to the water pump. The 4.0L which is what I think Tryfan is refering to have the fan off set to the passenger side and not on the water pump.

Hmm. IIRC I didn't have to pull mine on the 96 the 3 times I've replaced the clutch. In fact, it helps keep the pulley from rotating when I'm wrenching the 4 bolts off.
The clutch is, after all, on top of the belt and bolts.
You DO have to pull the fan shroud off though lol.

Thanks Solomon7, that is what I thought but the FSM says to remove the serpentine belt but it doesn't look necessary to me.

No, I didn't. The pulley may become canted on the shaft, but when you tighten the bolts back down it will straighten back out. It is only necessary to remove the fan shroud.

FWIW put a piece of posterboard or cardboard between the blades and radiator to protect the fins of the rad and your fingers.
I found it was easier to slide it out towards the electric fan side so I pulled that too, but that was when I was putting in a slightly thicker ZJ's HD fan clutch too.

Back