• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I may be in..

TA2Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
..need of a Dana 30 axle housing for a '99. I won't know for sure until later on Friday if I do need one, but I wanted to get the ball rolling if I do. Changing ball joints on mine and there's a very distinct possibility that either the current ears are bent / damaged or the tube is bent..

Thanks

(Oh yeah - does anyone know what years / models will be direct fit replacement?)

Last edited:
..need of a Dana 30 axle housing for a '99. I won't know for sure until later on Friday if I do need one, but I wanted to get the ball rolling if I do. Changing ball joints on mine and there's a very distinct possibility that either the current ears are bent / damaged or the tube is bent..

Thanks

(Oh yeah - does anyone know what years / models will be direct fit replacement?)

I know you don't want the old disco style d30 and you don't want the 2000-2001 Low pinion d30. I'm sure anything in the 96-99 years will work assuming you get the correct gears. I'm not sure which year they switched over to the non disco hp 30. Probably in the late 80's but someone on here will chime in with that answer. Any year from that point forward up until 99 will work.

Until 90 XJ with np231 came factory with vac-disco. The rest are non-disco. Any non-disco will work. I suppose a disco would work but you would need to either run a posi-lok switch, perma-slide the fork over the disco shaft, or swap in new seals and run a non-disco shaft.

Thanks for all the info and the offer..

Did get her back on the road but I think I do need to look for a straight housing. PO put adjustable ball joints in and apparently there was no press involved, just a Tijuana hammer. Dude banged the XXXX out of them until they just couldn't go in any more and bent the shit out of and mushroomed the sleeves. I'm not even 100% that these old ball joints were meant for an XJ.. :explosion

Ended up cutting the ball joints out by slicing them across the top and bottom like cheese and then drilling them out. Was a fun couple of days - a lot of cussing, drinking, sweating, drinking, cussing, torching, drinking, cussing, grinding, drinking, cussing, banging, drinking, cussing, penetrating oil, drinking, cussing, torching, drinking, cussing, banging, drinking, cussing, torching, drinking, cussing, cutting.. :cry:

What do you know about melting down crayolas into the yoke trying to get it into any crevices to try and get ANY XXXXing wiggle - LOL.. :rof:

So yeah - I am back up but looking for a free / inexpensive :eyes: straight D30 HP non-disco housing..

Back