• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 link using drop side UCA mount... what do I do about the tiny bolt it uses??

ericfx1984

NAXJA Forum User
3 link using drop side UCA mount... what do I do about the tiny bolt it uses??

the bushing is in great shape

drill it out to something bigger? replace it with something bigger? I think is runs a 10.9 10mm bolt factory... some say a 7/16 bolt can be made to fit will a little work...

what if I ran it with NO sleeve in the bushing? and then ran a bolt that matches the rubber? (I am asking cause I really do not know)

I run a larger rebuildable poly joint that bolts together and runs a 1/2 inch bolt. At least I think it's a half inch. It actually came with my RK 3 link kit. I'm sure RK will sell you one individually.

I can't find it separately on their site but I'm sure you could contact them and they could give you the info you need.

Are you saying you want to run the upper link on the driver's side with the diff mount?

No, you can't run the bolt without the sleeve. The XJ UCA bushings have little knobs inside the sleeve that reduce the diameter of the bolt you use. If you drill out those little knobs, you can run a bigger bolt. I've also heard the UCA bushings from the WJ don't have the knobs, so you could always throw those in.

What 3-link kit are you using? Mine came with an aftermarket upper link mount for the passenger side to replace the stock mount. My single upper uses johnny joints on both ends. Technically with a 3-link, you don't need bushings because there is no bind. RK and I think Currie both make a joint that fits in the stock UCA mounts.

the rk peice is..... MEH
just fyi, its also wider than a stock joint, gotta make the upper fork wider.
drilling out the stock bushing is usually a bad idea... the sleeve is hardened, and it melts the rubber around the sleeve once it heats up, ruining the bushing.
cut it off, truss the axle, and put a cartidge joint of choice in there.

XCM I think you are on the right target... when I do this I think I will make a new upper arm with heims on both ends...

best part is the axle will be beefed up after this

I agree that's certainly the best way to do it but I can say Ive never had any troublle out my RK joint. It does require a wider fork. I forgot about that.

Yep, I just put in the Currie unit on the axle side and upgraded the RE small ball on my single radius upper so both use a 1/2" bolt. That's a pretty good way to go.

Back