• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission issues

unhitched

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ with a 4.0, and it seems that when i put it in gear it sort of jumps forward (drive) or backwards (reverse) alot more than it should.

Any ideas what would cause this and how to fix it?

thanks

nick

sounds like your torque converter is slipping, happened to me when I used castrol dex merc, although I then overheated and blew my tranny, filled it up with high mileage (valvoline i think, it was a red bottle) and it went away

Note from DJ
I am a Renix owner but my first question to you is what your idle RPM's in natural are.

In addation to the above question:

Are the rear breaks working properly?
Is the transfer case in high or low range?
What are the conditions of the leaf springs?

Any and all of these could contribute what you described.

In addation to the above question:

Are the rear breaks working properly?
Is the transfer case in high or low range?
What are the conditions of the leaf springs?

Any and all of these could contribute what you described.

Please tell me more about the brakes and leaf springs having an effect on this. I don't think my issue is as extreme as the OP's, but nonetheless I'm having a similar issue.

-Eric

sounds like your torque converter is slipping

It would be the opposite if this were true, If it was slipping it wouldn't be moving. My 99 jumps as well and without holding onto the brake will just start moving. It idle's at 500-700 rpm I believe but always seems like it's against the TC when in gear.

Check your transmission mount....when I replaced mine, I did not tighten bolts sufficiently and as they loosened it would do what you described. Perhaps yours is going bad?

He not talking about the mount being loose and the shifter/transmission moving he's talking about the whole jeep lurching forward/backward under load.

He not talking about the mount being loose and the shifter/transmission moving he's talking about the whole jeep lurching forward/backward under load.

Exactly, but that is the effect the loose trans mount had on mine...it would make the whole vehicle feel like it was lurching when I put it in forward or reverse.....

I have the exact same problem, so I adjusted my throttle cable yesterday and saw a slight improvement but the problem is still definitely there.

I have the exact same problem, so I adjusted my throttle cable yesterday and saw a slight improvement but the problem is still definitely there.

I'm guessing your are talking about this.
Awesome cheap fix but like you mentioned, just a slight improvement.
I guess is a Jeep thing huh.

Back