• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix door cylinder part numbers? Autozone's is wrong...

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
Finally got tired of my driver's door lock not working (2+ years now). I got the old one out without disconnecting any linkage (thankfully).

I went to 4 chain stores in town, no one had it, Autozone got it in about 3 hours.

When I got to pick it up, they were obviously not the same, but I thought I'd try it anyway. Well, turns out they are definitely not the same. The guy said he looked up '87, '88, and '89 and they are all supposed to be this DL48150.

Anyone know if Renix door locks are still available? Where can I get them?

If I can't find out in a couple hours I'll probably just put the old broken one on as I need to drive this thing.

Thanks

I just checked Oreilly auto's site and it shows part number dlk28 for an 88.

Thanks buddy! I did go there today and he said they could order it, but he didn't want to because the photo didn't match my old cylinder.

I just found it- it looks exactly like the one Autozone gave me. Probably the same manufacturer. Unfortunately, it has a completely different interface and doesn't fit. Also, it's a different style key, but that wouldn't bother me if the working end fit, but it doesn't.

O'Reilley's says this thing is supposed to fit CJ's, XJ's, MJ's, ZJ's, TJ's, etc from 1981 to 1997. I don't know how that makes sense. Some of them are spans of 6 or so years and say 1 year in the middle doesn't apply.

I haven't been able to find any info about a style change post-RENIX. The one they gave me and the one at O'Reilleys also look like my friend's who had a 1996 XJ.

Another option is taking you old key cylinder to a local locksmith and he can re-key it and then cut a new key for it. I checked to see how much it would be locally here and they said that if I already had the cylinder that it'd be around $20.

Solid tip! I just got done reading a thread on jeepforum where a guy with like 4 Jeeps rekeyed them to all run on 1 key. He had a bag of parts from the locksmith. I'll go there tomorrow.

As I recall, the aftermarket doesn't realize that Chrysler keys/locks weren't used on the Renix Jeeps. You were probably given the key set for a leter model Jeep that doesn't fit the door hole correctly.

I was able to get a set of mid '80s G.M. keys to work in the door with a little effort, but I cannot remember the specifics.

I know I used a set of locks from a 1988 Caprice (police car in my case) and I think I only had to swap the little arm on the rear of the lock from the Jeep lock to the G.M. lock. I makes life easier when you've got an ignition switch keyed to the same key as the doors (as the local police cars were)

I had the same issue with my 90. I've brought the key and locks to a locksmith. He said he couldn't do anything because the front face would need to be destroyed to open it.

If the link that old man posted is sold out (which it was when I tried) I ordered my cylinders from quadratec that fit the cj's and mj's (it doesn't list the xj as a fit but look at the picture. It's the exact same)

Back