• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Root your Gingerbread phones!!! woot!

I've had my gingerbread phone (Nexus One) rooted since Feb/Mar.

CyanogenMod ftw!

I tried Cyanogen back before they added the ability to run 4G and didnt like it because of this. How do you like yours now? I mainly wanted root access to run Wireless tether app.

my G2 has a tehtering app built in and it's only on 2.2 until the update rolls out for my prefix :gag:

holy crap, i didn't understand a word of what you guys are talking about. man i am old...

No worries, I'm not that old and I didn't understand any of that either. I was happy just to find out my phone had a camera. I'm techy retarted.

A. What the hell is rooting?
2. What the hell is a gingerbread phone (made of cookies?)
c. What is texting, and why would you do it while your already talkiing with someone?
IV. Why would you need a camera on a phone?
5. What is tethering?
F. Just ignore me, I must be about 95 years old apparently.

A. What the hell is rooting?
2. What the hell is a gingerbread phone (made of cookies?)
c. What is texting, and why would you do it while your already talkiing with someone?
IV. Why would you need a camera on a phone?
5. What is tethering?
F. Just ignore me, I must be about 95 years old apparently.

Rooting gives you full access to the capabilites of your phone. Think of it like a little computer and you can run different operating systems, software etc, etc.

Gingerbread is the latest software on the Android based phones/tablets

Texting is for when you dont like being on the phone and hate talking, like me.

Camera phone is useful for capturing those special moments.

Tethering is for using your phones internet connection for use @ home with laptops, PS3 etc etc. It makes your phone a mobile hotspot. Great for when you dont want to pay for internet and even better for when you have a phone that runs 4g speeds.

I will not ignore you.... just yet. :p

Thanks, I feel so informed now. Still contemplating a smart phone, my flip phone is pretty cool though ;)

Wow! I didn't know that I could learn how to hack my phone on NAXJA! Very cool! If your phone does what it is supposed to do already than ignore this thread please, before you end up with a very expensive paper weight!

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

Wow! I didn't know that I could learn how to hack my phone on NAXJA! Very cool! If your phone does what it is supposed to do already than ignore this thread please, before you end up with a very expensive paper weight!

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

Some of us like to fiddle with our phones and some of us don't. For those who don't want to fiddle, well.. they won't. For those who do, the info is there for us to do so. Just passing it on, there is nothing wrong with doing so.
You mad cause you bricked your phone? :twak:

While bricking is always a possibility, it's best to read all the info before taking on the task of rooting your phone. It's obviously not for someone who isn't computer savvy. Telling people not do do it because they will end up with a "paper weight" is about as smart as telling people not to lift their jeep cause they will eventually roll it. ;) I mean they will if they aren't careful but that's beside the point. :laugh3:

We all have choices so let those who want to delve into this do so.

And here I was thinking that I was the only tech nerd on these forums.....

Did you use Revolutionary? if so, how did you like it? I have yet to root my 3d because i have been waiting for HTC to unlock the bootloader the legit way. Now I have seen that they are going to pretty much void your warranty for just about anything if you use their unlock process; PLUS, you don't even get s-off with their unlocker??!?!!!!

SO, I have decided to use the non-legit method of obtaining s-off, and using Revolutionary....

As for ROMs, i always liked UltimateDroid (despite the controversy between Blackdroid and CM) I always felt that it was faster and more customize-able, but i think they have since fell off of the planet.

What phone do you have and what rom are you running?

I'm running a custom gingerbread rom on my HTC HD2 currently. Having this phone is awesome because I can run wm6.5, android, or wp7. I miss having a keyboard tho.

Sent from my mind using the force

I have the HTC Sensation and even when I had my mytouch3g, I could tether. We were in the Parker Pits tethered to my laptop and on IRC Tracking so we could keep an eye on our ProTruck!!! I dont feel the need to root my phone when it does pretty much everything I want it to. I have considered unlocking a G1 for my son to use on AT&T but he got a HD7 with lame windows!!! hahaha

Julio, what do you use your phone for that Gingerbread (or even Froyo) doesn't do?

And here I was thinking that I was the only tech nerd on these forums.....

Did you use Revolutionary? if so, how did you like it? I have yet to root my 3d because i have been waiting for HTC to unlock the bootloader the legit way. Now I have seen that they are going to pretty much void your warranty for just about anything if you use their unlock process; PLUS, you don't even get s-off with their unlocker??!?!!!!

SO, I have decided to use the non-legit method of obtaining s-off, and using Revolutionary....

As for ROMs, i always liked UltimateDroid (despite the controversy between Blackdroid and CM) I always felt that it was faster and more customize-able, but i think they have since fell off of the planet.

What phone do you have and what rom are you running?

I have the EVO 4g. As for the warranty issue, i sent them back a phone that was rooted and they never gave me any guff. Had to send it back cause the speaker kept crapping out. I was running the Fresh roms so i could maintain the 4g connectivity. I tried Cyanogen Mod then but they didnt have 4g at the time.

I have the HTC Sensation and even when I had my mytouch3g, I could tether. We were in the Parker Pits tethered to my laptop and on IRC Tracking so we could keep an eye on our ProTruck!!! I dont feel the need to root my phone when it does pretty much everything I want it to. I have considered unlocking a G1 for my son to use on AT&T but he got a HD7 with lame windows!!! hahaha

Julio, what do you use your phone for that Gingerbread (or even Froyo) doesn't do?

Froyo was fine, i liked it. Just that when 2.2 was around it was simpler to root your phone using the unrevoked method. With Gingerbread, the Bootloader was changed and a easy way to root was not available. AS of a couple weeks ago it was available @ the link posted on the 1st page.

I plan on changing the ROM once I look into which one i like the most.

For now, im stoked that im not limited to tethering via the cable on my laptop. Wireless tether is used in my home cause i have no home internet. Add to that the fact that my 4G works perfect where I live and Im able to connect my PS3 and watch movies online via Netflix and my son can play his COD online among other games.

In short, i rooted to gain access to other ROMS and Wireless tether for Netflix on my PS3 as well as online gaming for my son.

Back