• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 XJ vibration issue.

CASEY-R

NAXJA Forum User
1998 XJ. 4.0 ltr, auto, 231, 8.25 rear, hp30 front.

New tires professionally ballanced. A.A. SYE. Stock auto front d.s. ballanced last weekend. Good c.v. and u-joints. Pinion angle 11 up and d.s. angle 12.5 up. Front d.s. removed. Bearings and ball joints have no signs of movement.

Jeep has a pretty severe vibration at 65-70 mph.

I am lost. Going to have the tires checked for ballance later today but what else could be causing this?

Help!

Please?

Warped rotor? Lugs on to tight or not torqued to proper specs? You would be surprised what would cause it. Worn track bar bushing,control arm bushings?

Trac bar and bracket are nearly new. I always torque the wheels to 90 ftlbs. Not sure if the disk is warped or not but I do know that they are 7 months old and there is no pulsation in the pedal.
Tires are being balanced right now. We'll see how that turns out.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Worn slip yoke? Was the driveshaft "high speed" computer balanced?

Not sure how it was balanced. I think I'm moving away from the transfef case or d.s. being the problem. It's all in good shape and set up correctly.
I have an appointment next week at a great shop in Auburn, WA. I'm done till then.

Can you give a bit more detail about the "pretty severe vibration at 65-70 mph"? Does it feel like front end? Is your steering wheel trying to pull out of your hands? Swaying back and forth? Are there vibes at any other speed?

It does feel like it's more toward the front of the vehicle. The steering wheel shakes but only up/down, not left/right.
Also, going around a curve seems to change it a little. Stepping on and off the throttle does not change it though.
When I say severe I mean it is somewhat of a slow vibration.
I have an appointment with a reputable shop in the area on Friday to look for it.
Just need it fixed before I leave for Moab in 4 weeks.

I've kinda thought that it could be a slight d.w. issue but have been steered in other directions.

After the alignment the manager, who happens to be my brother, gave me a printout of the alignment and said it was within specs. My own checks at home using gojeeps chart for caster gave me the same results.

I have been questioning the used control arms I got with the lift. They have an unknown # of miles on them. I'm also thinking it could be the unit bearings although I have checked them a couple times.

Alignment specs are different for lifted or lowered vehicles. Was he referring to OEM spec?

I believe they do go off of stock specs. He has been working there for more than ten years and has done numerous lifts on all kinds of vehicles including xj's. The skyjacker arms are 16.25" long and are at the very back of the adjustment slot.
A thought that I've had is that at rest the arms are longer than under power because of worn out bushings. Maybe?

Back