• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starting/idling problems

gijosiahh

NAXJA Forum User
Jeep is a stock 2000 automatic.

This only happens every once in a while, but lately it's been happening more often. I will go to start the jeep and it will start, but it will not idle and will just die down right away. After that i will turn the key again and if i give it some gas it will start and as long as i'm giving it some gas it stays on, but as soon as i let go of the pedal it shuts off. after i stay on the gas for a few seconds and get the rpms up high it will usually idle for me. anyone have any ideas as to whats going on here?

thanks for the help!

Do all the normal power connection stuff, grounds and positive.
What voltage is your battery at prior to start? A low battery will inhibit idle.
Possible dirty IAC.

A marginal battery can give you the symptoms you describe.

Remove the battery, clean the battery cables and posts until shiny. While the battery is out, take it to a parts store and have the battery LOAD TESTED. Load testing is the only accurate way of determining battery condition.

What does the voltage gauge read on your dash? Should be in the area of 13.5 to 14.0 volts give or take for a healthy electrical system.

My guess would be the aforementioned IAC. Yank it, clean it, or get a new one. I had identical problems. It gets dirty and sluggish and won't adjust the idle air properly. It'll never get you stuck but it's a PIA.

Last edited:
its been a while, but i'm still having this problem...except now it happens every time i try and start...cleaned my IAC and it didnt work..took the throttle body off and cleaned that as well...bought a new IAC and that didn't work..cleaned my battery terminals and posts...didn't work...grounds look good. any other ideas??

jeep will only start if i give it gas while turning the ignition...also has a rough idle once up to operating temps (might be unrelated though)

any ideas?

thanks for the help

Last edited:
Check the fuel rail pressure. Screw the tester on and turn the key to "on", check that pressure, then start the car, check that pressure, then shut it off, check that pressure.

Sounds to me like you may have a bad check valve, losing pressure on shutdown and taking a bit to get the pressure up on start-up. Mine does this and it is the check valve. The pump is good but takes a while, like 5 or 10 seconds to get all cylinders firing then runs like a new one with 48 psi on the fuel rail.

Check the fuel rail pressure. Screw the tester on and turn the key to "on", check that pressure, then start the car, check that pressure, then shut it off, check that pressure.

Sounds to me like you may have a bad check valve, losing pressure on shutdown and taking a bit to get the pressure up on start-up. Mine does this and it is the check valve. The pump is good but takes a while, like 5 or 10 seconds to get all cylinders firing then runs like a new one with 48 psi on the fuel rail.

I was thinking the same thing in general, but thinking he may have leaking fuel injectors flooding it at start up, since it starts if he opens the throttle plate (pressing the so called gas peddle), which gives it more air to help reach stoich and fire the excess fuel. May be your problem too?????

not throwing any codes..

just threw a set of cleaned/rebuilt neon injectors hoping that would solve the problem...nope. oh well, at least i have some better injectors on there now...i will check the pressure at the fuel rail and see what thats reading...would this cause a low idle as well?

Low idle sounds more like too little air, which will also flood it. IAC may not be getting power from B+ latch relay at engine shutdown if this a Renix era rig, or the Throttle body (or IAC) may have some junk blocking the air, or dirty air filter., or sticking IAC valve...also the CCV line may be plugged up, which reduces Idle air flow!!

You might play with a temp vac leak on the intake manifold and simulate better air at start up?

Last edited:
Back