• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Key won't turn on or off - stuck in the middle

kevin s

NAXJA Forum User
92 XJ 4.0 AW4

All of a sudden my ignition key cylinder decided not to work correctly.
When I came home from work today and parked, I put the shifter in Park and went to turn it off. The key turned off the Jeep, but wouldn't rotate all the way to off. The steering wheel lock did not engage. It also won't rotate all the way to start. It rotates about halfway through its normal travel. I straighted the wheels to no effect. I can shift through the gears on the floor shifter, but that doesn't do any good either.

Where do I start looking?

there is a cable that attaches to the gear shift lever, it keeps the key from going all the way to off if it's not all the way in park. try slamming the shift lever into park and see if that helps. the cable runs from the shift lever all they way up the column to the lock cylinder. I have a 95 so mine may be a little different than yours because you have the early style steering column, it may only run to the ignition switch that is half way or so down the steering column. there is a solid rod that runs from the lock cylinder to the ignition switch on the lower part of the column. that rod may also be binding up.

my jeep had a period where it did this... it was after letting a valet park my jeep...... fail.

the secret, is to bump the shifter forward with the palm of your hand, you'll usually hear a 'click'

Thanks for the tips. I have been in the column a few times for clock springs and wheel replacements (darned black goo) so I have the tools at least. I was able to reach up under and jiggle the rod coming from the ignition switch on the column body, but didn't have any luck with that.

I guess its time to tear into it and hope its just the key cylinder. Will I be able to remove that with it stuck in the mid position, or does it have to be in the full on or off position?

there is a writeup for removing the lock cylinder without the key, done by member "Shelbyluvv". I'll dig up a link for you hopefully his pics are still hosted.

Back