• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle shaft replacement frustrations

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
I got my Aussie Locker installed put the carrier back in and installed the short shaft with no problem. When I went to put in the long shaft it wouldn't seat.

So I pulled the carrier back out to see what was what and I found the axle seal was loose. So I secured it with RTV and let it cure.

This evening I replaced the carrier again and the shaft still won't seat. It is as if it reaches the locker and stops. I pulled the long shaft out and put it in the short shaft side and it seated fine so there should be no issue with the splines.

I pulled the carrier back out and put the shaft in to see the angle as it comes into the differential. It is almost as if on the long side, the axle seal is pushing the shaft upwards or to the backside rather than letting the shaft enter the carrier straight on. The shaft will enter the carrier with no problem, but will not enter the locker gear.

Not sure where to go from here. I do know that the carrier has been fully seated into the differential each time. There is no doubt in my mind.

My next thought is to replace the inner axle seal, or run without one, which I am not terribly inclined to do.

FYI...this axle is a Vaccum Disconnect axle from a 1986 XJ with the 4.10 gears. I have blocked off the disconnect opening and am using the long shaft from my '01 XJ in it.

Check to see if the unit bearing is having difficulty seating in the knuckle and try rotating the shaft as you try to insert it.

The unit bearing won't get to the knuckle. It stops about 1 inch short of seating. That is when/where the spindle end contacts the locker. I have tried to rotate the shaft, lift up on it, push down on it, force it left, force it right....and it just won't seat.

I think tonight I will remove the inner axle seal compeltely, reinstall the carrier and see if I can get the shaft to seat. If I can, that pretty much confirms the seal is the culpret. If not, I need to figure out a plan B.

I'm going to pull the seal tonight, replace the carrier, then install the long shaft just to confirm it will seat in the locker. If so, then I pull the carrier back out and put the new seal in tomorrow. If not, I have bigger issues than the seal!!!

Are you using a seal made for the '87 axle?

Did the shaft enter the carrier before you put the locker in? Is the locker new or used? Check the alignment of the locker in the carrier.

Yes it did. The locker is new. However, it bound up some when I pulled it out of the axle to start the project. I checked the alignment of the locker this evening and didn't see anything wrong, however I didn't completely dissemble and reassemble the locker into the carrier. The shaft will slide into the locker on the workbench.

Are you using a seal made for the '87 axle?

The axle is actually an '86 and I have a new seal for an '86 that will be at the parts store tomorrow. I still have that slanted guide piece that we installed to help guide the shaft into the seal installed. I am wondering about pulling that out completely.

I did pull out the axle seal tonight (and left the guide piece in) and I couldn't get it to seat, even with the seal out. Beginning to think that the guide race is the culprit. I am leary to pull it to test the fittment because it was such a bitch to get in there to begin with.

I did beat on the axle a couple times at Harlan, and can't imagine that I bent the axle tube to the point where the axle seal isn't guided straight into the carrier anymore, but I suppose that is possible. I recall the shaft going in very easily when we installed the axle, and I recall it coming in and out pretty easy when I pulled it a couple month back to check a leaky outer axle seal. I guess I could pull the seal and the guide piece out and just run without an inner axle seal, but I can't believe that is a good solution either.

Back at it tomorrow.

I just went and took another look. I slid the shaft in without the carrier and the unitbearing slid right into the knuckle. What I noticed is that the slanted guide was pushing the shaft upwards instead of straight in. When I put the short shaft in, i believe that the shafts should be in straight line of each other, but the pax side one is about 1/8-1/4 inch higher than the drivers.

Seems to me that guide piece is the issue.

I'm not sure what guide you put in, but typically when I convert a disco, I use a dremel on the third member until a non disco OEM seal that has the guide built in (same seal you use on the driver side) will just fit snugly. That has always worked really well.

Disco axles are notorious for bending. Maybe the long side tube is bent

Eyeballing it, it is not bent.

How can I confirm that? I guess just put a straight edge on it all over and see if there is any gaps....

Well, I pulled my inner axle seal to replace it with new, but the one that Advance said would fit my application doesn't. So I replaced my carrier and tried to install the shaft and it still won't seat. Still stops about an inch from seating.

Really not sure where to go now.

Back