• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ride / Handling improvements ??

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
First, my setup:
ZJ coil + isolator ~2.5" front, upcountry leaves + 1.5" shackle ~2.5" rear
JK shocks (black ones, not the rubicons)
31" tires, 1.5" wheel spacers up front, stock rims
Stock front sway bar, no rear sway bar, vertical shackle angle.

The goal: Less side to side wobble on potholes / bumps / more stability on uneven dirt roads etc

I'm not sure what to do first: HD offroad shackle hangers, Bilsteins, Addco sway bar in back??? Any other thoughts?

What kind of steering/trackbar setup are you running?

I just bought some pretty stiff bilsteins for the front to help with the soft RE springs. Also got Liquid Iron leaf spring sliders to replace the shackle, so hopefully that helps as well.

Stock steering, RE 1600 bar on stock brackets (both sides)

Seriously? Bump steer at 2.5"?

Been kicking myself since I lifted it...

For future searches:
Went bilsteins, went home happy.
Bumpsteer will move the steering wheel. If the car wobbles but the wheel doesn't move, you have blown shocks. If you hit a bump & the steering wheel moves, you have bump steer. This really only applies to modified rigs.
Swaybars can help with this sort of wobble, I think, though a stock xj with no rear sway doesn't have this issue so long as the shocks are new. Sways should be looked at as an enhancement, not used to fix a problem.

The relocation brackets will make a huge difference in ride quality.

And Old Man Emu.....should be a sweet combo once i get my brackets! :)

For future searches:
Went bilsteins, went home happy.
Bumpsteer will move the steering wheel. If the car wobbles but the wheel doesn't move, you have blown shocks. If you hit a bump & the steering wheel moves, you have bump steer. This really only applies to modified rigs.
Swaybars can help with this sort of wobble, I think, though a stock xj with no rear sway doesn't have this issue so long as the shocks are new. Sways should be looked at as an enhancement, not used to fix a problem.

Get some bilstein 5100s
He already wrote he got Bilstein's

get some bilstein 5100's....

kidding, lol.

nice, really been considering doing a superride/5100 combo but may end up with an rc-x kit. what relocation bracket are yall referring to? track bar or sway bar?

Re: relocation bracket

I was running a rocklizard style lift (bastard pack/V8 coils and a spacer) which netted me right at 2.25" of lift on my old 1990 but I never added a track-bar relocation bracket or re-drilled the track-bar. Steering definately felt a little iffy on washboard roads, even after installing new shocks.

I see that the relocation brackets for sale by various manufacturers are meant for a 3" lift so would the best solution for a smaller 2-2.5" lift be to simply re-drill the track-bar, or can I get away with using a drop bracket meant for a bigger lift?

I want to install a small lift on my 2000 but I definately don't want a repeat of the steering chararistics I had on my 1990. What to do?

Any recomendations for a 3" Lift track-bar relocation bracket as in from what company

Did you lengthen the sway bar links when you lifted it? When I first did my 2in lift I didn't do anything with the front sway bar. After about 6 months I got around to the sway bar and lengthened the links 2in. It was amazing the difference in handling and ride quality when running down ruff dirt roads.

Did you lengthen the sway bar links when you lifted it? When I first did my 2in lift I didn't do anything with the front sway bar. After about 6 months I got around to the sway bar and lengthened the links 2in. It was amazing the difference in handling and ride quality when running down ruff dirt roads.

Why, was just at a way retarded angle or something?

Back