• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airbag Clockspring

kevswens20

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '98 XJ. My Horn and my cruise control havent worked since I bought my jeep in april. and the airbag light on my dash has been lit since i bought it. I'm thinking the cause of my problem might be the airbag clockspring behind the steering wheel, cause that is where all the wires for the airbag, cruisecontrol, and horn converge:huh:. Just wanted to see what others thought of my problem before I went down this route. thanks.

Most likely that is your problem. If the steering box has been replaced and the wheel was rotated completely while it was not connected to the steering box the clockspring is broken.

Be ready to drop some coin on a new one they are pretty pricey.

Most likely that is your problem.

Ditto. All of those circuits go thru the clockspring.

would it be possible to get one from pick n pull?

Yes, but who knows what condition it is in. If the airbarg fired on the donor vehicle, chances are the clockspring ist kaput. One of those items that it is best to always use a new one. Rock Auto has them for decent prices.

I have had good luck with used airbags and clock spring parts from the junkyard. Make sure the donor airbags did not blow and that the Junkyard apes have not spun the steering wheel. Test the clock spring by gently cycling it from one end to the other. It should spin about 4.5 - 5 turns. Do not apply excessive torque.

You bet! I got one for my son's 99 at the local pull-a-part and they charged me for a pulley ($5). The factory service manual has detailed instructions for re-installing and centering the clock spring. If the donor air bags are good, go for it. I think I remember a good write-up here someplace as well. Only special tool is a steering wheel puller. They are very delicate and you need to take a paper clip or wire of about that gauge to insert through the locking hole to protect it from over rotation. Read the FSM!

There are some serious safety issues when working with air bags. You should be at least a little afraid you could lose some teeth or an eye before you get started. Treat this system with respect and do your homework before you start!!

That said, you got this.

Last edited:
Fish'nCarz said:
There are some serious safety issues when working with air bags. You should be at least a little afraid you could lose some teeth or an eye before you get started. Treat this system with respect and do your homework before you start!!

That said, you got this.

all of this is very very true. just like any power tool, treat it right and you'll be fine. just keep your face away from the front of the airbag at all times just in case and you should be fine (if not a little shaken up) if it does happen to go off.

all of this is very very true. just like any power tool, treat it right and you'll be fine. just keep your face away from the front of the airbag at all times just in case and you should be fine (if not a little shaken up) if it does happen to go off.

Wear brown pants.

Don't screw with a used one. The one you have has gone bad, chances are the one you pull will need to be replaced again. I did mine this past spring and I had the exact same symptoms. With a new one at least you'll know it's centered and you won't have to pull the wheel off again in a couple months. It'll probly last another 10 years before it goes out.

I have installed 3 used clock springs and they all are fine. One is going on 3 years and a fellow 4x4 club member owns it. Another one is still in my driveway and has 2 good years so far.

Don't screw with a used one. The one you have has gone bad, chances are the one you pull will need to be replaced again. I did mine this past spring and I had the exact same symptoms. With a new one at least you'll know it's centered and you won't have to pull the wheel off again in a couple months. It'll probly last another 10 years before it goes out.

If you center it per ChryCo FSM and it ain't bad, it won't go bad in regular use. They aren't perishable, just consumable.

Don't screw with a used one.

Ditto!

I have installed 3 used clock springs and they all are fine.

There are some used vehicle parts that I will roll the dice on, but the clockspring is not one of them. It's all well-and-good IF you can ascertain the airbag condition of the donor vehicle and IF you know for certain that somebody else looking at parts from that vehicle didn't over-crank the steering system and ruin it. Why take a chance on installing a used one and having it fire the airbag when you reconnect the battery due to a short?

These forums are full of places where the auto-parts store generic sensor is NOT as good as the OEM sensor. Don't roll the dime on your clockspring. It could just explode in your face.

Do whatever you think is necessary for your Cherokee. The clock spring can be tested for failure if you think that is necessary. A faulty clock spring (or any other part of the airbag system) will light the dashboard airbag system trouble lamp. Since a faulty clock spring is an open circuit and the airbag controller signal is needed to fire the bags, a faulty clock spring won't fire the bags. A faulty clock spring is the original posters existing problem.

I have sold several used airbag systems and a number of NAXJA and JeepForum members have reported good results with used parts. I have not read any threads about unwanted airbag discharges in relation to installing used parts.

Like I said, whatever you are most comfortable with, new or used parts, is the best solution for you.

Back