• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust question

vickin

NAXJA Forum User
This may sound dumb, I just bought a 92 xj with a 3.5 inch lift. I need to buy an exhaust system. Now being that the truck is lifted, do I need a custom exhaust, or can I purchase one online for my truck?

thanks

Bone stock. Lifting an XJ doesn't change exhaust mounts. My 94 has 6" of lift and an exhaust for a stock XJ.

Unless your are trying to change the sound of your Jeep or gain marginal performance, my vote is to stick with stock. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of my Borla system but after my last trip out it is now a very low flow system (hooked it on a rock) that is currently sitting on my garage floor all mangled.

Additionally, do some research to determine if an aftermarket system is truly designed for your year range. Borla claims there system works on all years but it is designed for 97+ with the plastic fuel tank and heat shield so it has a dogleg in it to clear. The problem I had is that on my 91 with ~3" and MJ shackles, the dogleg crashed into the exhaust. Fortunately at the time I had a friend who was good at TIGing SS so we just removed the dogleg.

My $.02

All I want is a stock exhaust from the manifold back. I need a cat and a muffler and the rear tail pipe section. I am thinking about just taking it to carx to see what they can do. If you guys know of a place that sells stock exhaust systems, that would be great!

Unless your are trying to change the sound of your Jeep or gain marginal performance, my vote is to stick with stock. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of my Borla system but after my last trip out it is now a very low flow system (hooked it on a rock) that is currently sitting on my garage floor all mangled.

Additionally, do some research to determine if an aftermarket system is truly designed for your year range. Borla claims there system works on all years but it is designed for 97+ with the plastic fuel tank and heat shield so it has a dogleg in it to clear. The problem I had is that on my 91 with ~3" and MJ shackles, the dogleg crashed into the exhaust. Fortunately at the time I had a friend who was good at TIGing SS so we just removed the dogleg.

My $.02

Another quick question, I was looking at the manifold bolts where it collects to the front pipe. Are those bolts or studs? Because I may need to cut them? thank you.

Another quick question, I was looking at the manifold bolts where it collects to the front pipe. Are those bolts or studs? Because I may need to cut them? thank you.

They're drive studs. Available from Rockauto and other places. Check these Dorman bolts, P/N 03127. I bought a set but trashed the nuts in favor of flange head stainless steel nuts (I robbed from my Jegs 3/8" exhaust U-clamps). If you can't find SS 3/8-16 flange nuts go with SS plain nuts with SS internal tooth lock washers.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1261515

In any case, snapping the bolts or removing the nuts, use a drift to punch the old studs out and a small hammer to tap the new ones in.

Good luck with your exhaust.

Back