• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 rebuild kit needed!

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
I need to rebuild my 242 in my 2000 XJ and I can't seem to find many online. Any people know of a good co./website that carries a quality kit?

i got a timken rebuild kit from partstrain.com. part #TCRK242. other sites carry it as well. used morris 4x4 for the small misc parts like the oil pump filter, some o-rings etc

i got a timken rebuild kit from partstrain.com. part #TCRK242. other sites carry it as well. used morris 4x4 for the small misc parts like the oil pump filter, some o-rings etc

What was included in the kit? The website just states its a kit but doesn't actually list any parts. It also looks like it's for the 21 spline tcases and not the later model ones. When I treid inputing my specific year and model it didn't show a rebuild kit. I'm a little confused.

I'm ordering a kit from Novak in a few weeks. Seems quite nice and complete, but I don't know for sure yet.

The novak site has an error for the 242 link so I guess I will have to wait to check out that kit.

the kit was pretty complete. all of the necessary bearings, seals, snap rings, and even the shift pads. but like you said, it does specify the older 242. not sure if they are different. maybe call and ask?

Most inclusive 242 rebuild kit i have seen was packaged by Crown. The part# if i remember correctly was 242L-MAST

EDIT: 242L-MASKIT

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I will be picking out a kit tonight and ordering it. I will post up which one I bought and how the rebuild went.

Just ordered the Novak kit. It was $239 out the door. I had a hard time deciding between the Crown kit or the Novak kit since the crown kit would be about $30 less but once I realized the Novak was using the better quality Cloyes brand chain then I decided to pay the extra and go with them. I plan to yank the tcase this weekend and start the rebuild the week after. I will post up how things went and my opinion on the Novak kit.

many of the Novak rebuild kits are made up from Crown parts. I don't know who makes the 242 chain, but some are BorgWarner & other oe suppliers.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either one.

Got the Novak kit. It is pretty complete. When I looked at the kit and then compared it to the Crown kit, I'm pretty sure they are the same thing. The only difference is the addition of the chain. I probably could have bought the Crown kit and the Borg chain seperately for a little less, but I'm still happy with the quality, fast shipping, and good customer service at Novak. The kit will be installed this weekend and I will post back after that.

Just ordered the Novak kit. It was $239 out the door. I had a hard time deciding between the Crown kit or the Novak kit since the crown kit would be about $30 less but once I realized the Novak was using the better quality Cloyes brand chain then I decided to pay the extra and go with them. I plan to yank the tcase this weekend and start the rebuild the week after. I will post up how things went and my opinion on the Novak kit.
whoa, you could of got like 3 whole transfer cases for that price! I guess this way though you'll never have to worry about it again, might help ya sleep a little better at night.

whoa, you could of got like 3 whole transfer cases for that price! I guess this way though you'll never have to worry about it again, might help ya sleep a little better at night.

Not around where I live. Around here you'll find people selling 231's with over 150k miles for a minimum of $200.

My tcase already had a sye installed and I didn't want to have to transfer that to another tcase. Even if I got another junkyard case for $100 I would still probably have to rebuild it for a piece of mind. After considering all my options, rebuilding what I had was definately the best and least expensive approach.

Last edited:
Back