• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horrible Angles after Shackle Relocation Bracket Install

sheffeyva

NAXJA Forum User
I was checking my driveline angles cause I'm ready to get my Jeep on the road and I'm getting 2* off of the yoke 17* on the driveline and 16.5* off of the pumpkin! How in the world can I fix this? I have the NP228 TC so it has a fixed yoke (no Slip Yoke). With two regular U-joints at each end doesn't have to be within like 3* between the U-joints at the yoke and the pumpkin? There is no TC drop or any shims installed. Also the interesting part about the TC is when I go to lower it down not even a half of an inch the pivot point for the transmission shift rods just falls out of the bushing its attached to on the body. Then obviously I can't shift! So in reality I need to fix this too cause without a TC drop I will never get to fix these angles. I will try to get a picture of it but it's way down by the tranny obviously and you can't really see it from underneath. Please feel free to post any responses you can think of so I can get a start fixing these angles!

Edit: I have a "bastard pack" out back and HD Engineering Shackle Relocation Brackets for a total of 4.5" lift!

Last edited:
I was checking my driveline angles cause I'm ready to get my Jeep on the road and I'm getting 2* off of the yoke 17* on the driveline and 16.5* off of the pumpkin! How in the world can I fix this? I have the NP228 TC so it has a fixed yoke (no Slip Yoke). With two regular U-joints at each end doesn't have to be within like 3* between the U-joints at the yoke and the pumpkin? There is no TC drop or any shims installed. Also the interesting part about the TC is when I go to lower it down not even a half of an inch the pivot point for the transmission shift rods just falls out of the bushing its attached to on the body. Then obviously I can't shift! So in reality I need to fix this too cause without a TC drop I will never get to fix these angles. I will try to get a picture of it but it's way down by the tranny obviously and you can't really see it from underneath. Please feel free to post any responses you can think of so I can get a start fixing these angles!

Edit: I have a "bastard pack" out back and HD Engineering Shackle Relocation Brackets for a total of 4.5" lift!

"Two regular joints on both ends?" How many u-joints are on there total? That implies it has 4 joints, which is quite unlikely :D

If you have a CV driveshaft - 2 joints at the tcase, one at the diff - the diff yoke should be pointing almost right at the t-case yoke...just slightly down from it. If you have 2 joints total - one at the tcase, one at the diff, the diff and tcase yokes should be paralell.

Fixing the angle will involve either putting in shims, or relocating the spring pads on the axle. If the t-case needs to be moved, then fresh mounts and drop kits are the only things that will effect it's position. You may need to replace the linkage joints either way to get a more solid connection.

"Two regular joints on both ends?" How many u-joints are on there total? That implies it has 4 joints, which is quite unlikely :D

If you have a CV driveshaft - 2 joints at the tcase, one at the diff - the diff yoke should be pointing almost right at the t-case yoke...just slightly down from it. If you have 2 joints total - one at the tcase, one at the diff, the diff and tcase yokes should be paralell.

Fixing the angle will involve either putting in shims, or relocating the spring pads on the axle. If the t-case needs to be moved, then fresh mounts and drop kits are the only things that will effect it's position. You may need to replace the linkage joints either way to get a more solid connection.
Sorry about the confusion! Yes there is one U-joint at each end!

Are there any stock drivelines with a CV joint on the front end or is aftermarket the only way to go? I am kind of leaning towards saving a little and getting a Tom Woods one. It seems easier to shim .5* and be done with it plus getting a way better driveshaft. I was just wondering if there was a junkyard part I could use in the mean time!

A front driveshaft out of an XJ with an AW4 should work.

No,a CV shaft will not fit,it would require the installation of a CV style yoke at the t-case.

Would a front driveshaft out of a V8 Grand Cherokee work? Will it work on a Cherokee with 4.5" lift? I think the V8 Grand Cherokee has the longest one.

You cant use a std CV driveshaft without changing the yoke type(on your t-case).Your current set-up is strictly for a std 2 joint driveshaft.YJ's use this type in the front,you could check on the length.
BTW,your angles shoul look like this...
2joint_angle.gif

Last edited:
What if I take off the front yoke and swap it to the rear? It has the flange style that is compatible with a double cardan! Or something like that? I doubt it would work but I'm grasping at straws here.

Last edited:
Nevermind I see what your talking about. A regular strapped U-joint yoke is different than a CV yoke. I have a flanged CV yoke on the front and a fixed yoke on the rear. Is there anyway to adapt a double cardan driveline to a fixed yoke setup?

The smartest move would be to ditch the NP228,it has no support(parts).You could p/u a jy 231 for what it will cost to toy around trying to make a terd not stink!

The smartest move would be to ditch the NP228,it has no support(parts).You could p/u a jy 231 for what it will cost to toy around trying to make a terd not stink!
Don't they have different spline counts? NP231 + SYE is not feasible right now plus I don't think it matches up anyways!

All the different input shafts are available,what eng/trans do you have?

Back