• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bad rear springs??

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
ok i got my 2.5" RE AAL installed today in the 99.. it was sagging before a little bit.. after tightening down the spring pack with the full length AAL as the 2nd leaf in the pack it seems that my main leaf is not only weak, but is actually bowed at each end in the opposite direction!! the ends of the AAL are basically at the spring eyes front and rear.. and the rest of the pack sandwiched nicely together except the main leaf on both ends.. about 6-8" in from each end it is actually bowed up away from the AAL .. i see this as an amplified visual of how badly they were sagged.. its right where the original second leaf ends put pressure on the main leaf.... i take it the second leaf is a bit stronger than the main leaf. new full packs next year but for now i will keep an eye on it as it settles.. initial measurements give me nearly 3.5" lift in the rear with this setup... i dont kniow much about spring integrity, am i seeing a classic case of tired springs? or should i actually be concerned about this?? the space between the main and 2nd leaf is nearly 1/8" on both front and rear of both spring packs..
thanx
mike

What you are seeing is normal and predictable.

Remember that the stock XJ spring when carrying the weight of the vehicle does not have a constant arch -- it's almost flat, but in fact it has a sort of 'S' shape. Now you've added a new leaf that suddenly wants that poor thing to stop being an 'S' and to assume a convex arch over its full length.

It might help to visit a spring shop and buy about 4 sets of spring clamps. At my spring shop they cost about a buck each. Jack up the chassis to relieve some of the weight from the springs, use large C-clamps to squeeze the leaves together, then install the new clamps at the points of maximum separation.

i agree robert.... but money talks... i have 2 sets of clamps.. 2 for each side.. probably get 1 more set so i can do 3 per side, like OEM...
mike

I knoticed mine did that same thing. I was told not to worry too much about it, but that I may want to get new spring packs soon. That was almost two years ago. haven't knoticed any change in the shape of the main spring, haven't worried too much about it.

Back