• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 Wagoneer 4x4 lost the horns?

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
My jeep just passed emissions and safety inspection all except for the bloody horn.

Had it in my shop last 7 months swapping the transmission out, AW4. Had some other issues, exhaust donut leaked (fixed, new donut), and new battery (set up too long), passed NOX by 1 PPM, limit 1046 and reading was 1045 (got lucky), but all of sudden the horns are dead? They worked fine before.

The column switch hardware is all new (less than 2 years old), grounds are all new, scratching my head.

I suspect we knocked something out while we swapped the transmission, but this one has me scratching my head, as everything else works, and I can't think of anything we did that would be near the horn wiring?

Note from DJ
On my 88XJ there is a horn relay taped to wiring harness, above fuse block and a
Fuse #14 25 Amp Titled HD LP DLY that supplies the power to the horn relay output. I think?

Note from DJ
On my 88XJ there is a horn relay taped to wiring harness, above fuse block and a
Fuse #14 25 Amp Titled HD LP DLY that supplies the power to the horn relay output. I think?

Thanks, I will check mine. Does that fuse only run the horn I wonder?

HD LP is head lamps is it not? And mine work.

Horn relay is white and generally squashed up to the left and almost behind the upper left corner of the fusebox.

Found it (white relay), looks to have a loose wire in side the relay, coil wire came loose.

Did not see a fuse for it (yet)?

OK, I have a brand new horn relay now, and still no horn. I do not see any bad fuses, and the horn is the only thing not working. Totally dead. There are 2 horns, and they look new.

Note from DJ
My post # 5 regarding Fuse # 14 was in error after checking my 88XJ on 8-15-2011 so sorry.
Quote; “#14-25 Amp, Headlight Delay, Horns, Security Alarm.”
I did pull several other fuses, none of which stopped by horns from working.
But I did note that the key must be in the ON position for them to honk.

I ran a wire from the battery to the horn.

The horn I tested works, so at least one works, and works quite well (say what?, LOL)

So the horn is not getting any (12 V) power. Does any one have a wiring diagram handy?

I ran a wire from the battery to the horn.

The horn I tested works, so at least one works, and works quite well (say what?, LOL)

So the horn is not getting any (12 V) power. Does any one have a wiring diagram handy?

Since it is absolutely forbidden on NAXJA to post any copywrited material including dinosaur factory service manuals and links to other websites that contain such material, I sent it to your personal email.

I think single page pictures of pictures and wiring diagrams for instance are exempt from the rules, but I forget the user copy right jargon about it (just remembered, it is called "fair use" IIRC). Something about our rights trump their rights on a page or few pages, but we can copy the entire document and sell it.....

It looks like the smart thing to check next is the three female pins that the horn relay plugs into. To see if they have 12 V, and see if the relay third pin is actually grounded, and if the relay can work. I could also try running a 12 V wire the horn relay female pin output to see it that blows the horns!!!

Looking a little deeper, it looks like the horn switch on the steering wheel is just a ground, that grounds the relay????

So if I ground that wire and the relay (between the relay and the horn switch), and it honks, I know where to start looking, the last wire ti the switch and the switch.

I wonder if that spring loaded brush in the column croaked. I had to replace the key-ignition assy not long ago (IIRC, I forget which jeep it was now), but IIRC the horn worked fine the last 12-18 months since I had that all apart.

Last edited:
Finally the horn blows!!!!!

Turned out to be rust, from setting up, in the horn switch on the front of the steering column. The horn switch in the steering column grounds the horn relay leg, and the relay powers the horn. I had 12 volts to the relay, but no ground to set it off, and the wiring diagram left me with a bad switch on the steering column diagnosis, even though I had cleaned it about 18 months ago.

All it needed was a little sand paper or scotch brite.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the tech guys. My horn now functions thanks to you guys :)

:thumbup:

Back