• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drum brake spring

QUABOAG

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all. Just overhauled drum brakes on my 99 with a 8.25 rear axle. The hardware kit came with two blue springs that I wasn't sure what to do with. no similar looking spring was a part of the assembly when i took the brakes apart so I didnt really know what to do with them. got two up top and one at the bottom, where should these go and what are they for? ps everything seems to work fine without them.

#19 in that diagram is the pair of shoe return springs that go on top. My recollection is that the last spring set I got had those colored white. If you have installed a pair of shoe return springs at the top, the shoe spring between the two shoes on the bottom, the little springs under the shoe retainers (13 in the diagram) and the little spring on the parking brake strut (14 in the diagram) and you still have two springs left over, then they gave you two extra springs. It's possible that the kit you got covers more than one model and includes springs you don't need.

Thanks for the reply Matt. I did use all the springs you mentioned, as that was the setup in the drums when i tore em down. the longer spring #19 was the blue one i didnt install. guess you would need that for some years as a return spring instead of two shorter "white" ones at the top of the assembly. still find it odd that mopar parts shows it for a 99 as part of a hardware package but cant see it in the diagram of the assembled brakes they have up. anyone reading this remember using this spring on a d35 drum brake setup?

I too have had sets with an extra pair of springs. Can't remember what brand.

The last spring set I used did not have extras.

I would also assume that it's a universal hardware pack.

Back