• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is Yellow Antifreeze ok for XJ?

montanaman

NAXJA Forum User
It's getting harder and harder to find a high-quality source of old-fashioned green antifreeze. Is it ok to use yellow? I know the pink Dex-Cool isn't a good idea, but what about the Prestone yellow? Prestone doesn't make the old fashioned green ethylene glycol anymore, just the extended life yellow stuff.

Is anybody else running the yellow in their rig? Is it ok to use that?

I have a '91 XJ with 4.0L HO, and CSF 3-row radiator. Thanks.

Prestone is a very light yellow-green coming out of the jug. It doesn't look very green until it has been run in your system for a bit.
The Advance Auto brand of the same thing is the same way, and probably actually made by Prestone also.

Myron

ok ... so you're saying its ok to run the new style Prestone with the 5 year, 50k lifespan? Not that I would wait 5/50 to replace it, I just want to make sure it's ok to use that.

I have been buying the Advance brand for quite a while, so don't know if Prestone has come out with something entirely different. I don't have a jug to read the label, but I think the active ingredient is ethelene glycol, so if that is what it has, you should be OK.

Myron

as long as it does not say dexcool on the bottle you should be fine. Dexcool reacts chemically with the green antifreeze and turns to a greyish sludge that resembles cigarette ash, it plugs up everything and is extremely difficult to clean out completely. The other colors are formulated to reduce the effects of cavitation on softer metals like aluminum which many import engines and cylinder heads are being made of now.

If it is yellow it could be the universal style antifreeze, I know peak makes some and it is a golden color, I wouldn't doubt that prestone has a similar offering as well.

Here is a good article on the various types of coolant and what their intended uses are http://www.aa1car.com/library/coolant the links to other articles at the bottom should tell you more than you ever wanted to know about antifreeze/coolant :D

Back