• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 TC from a TJ into an XJ?

Dirt22

NAXJA Forum User
Will this work?

I have the 231 that came out of my TJ, (replaced with a 5.0 Atlas II) it has heavy duity chain and a SYE on it. Will this fit in my XJ? Any mods?

I'd hate to get the 231 out of the XJ and find that the 'new' one won't fit, or match up.

Both jeeps are 98s, and both are 6 cyl. TJ is a stick while the XJ is an auto. Both have AC... Dunno if any of that matters or not.

20110715084508833.jpg

Last edited:
The input shaft on TJ 231 is a bit longer than the ones that came in the XJs. It will fit, you just need to either swap out the input shaft with one that was in the XJ or just carefully cut it.

The Advanced Adapters web site has some good info on output shaft lengths and swaps in general. Their phone support is great also (e.g., What would I have to do to put my TJ Atlas II in my XJ...).

You should check the clocking also. I have heard that in some years, the XJ/YJ or XJ/TJ have different clocking. If you add a clocking ring, you may not need to shorten the output shaft.

BTW - Nice looking Rigs :D

BTW II - I have a 1998 TJ under destruction with a 5:1 Atlas - good choice!

input shaft is different, and tj cases are clocked differently.

TJ and XJ t-cases themselves have the same clocking position. The output adapter on the tranny is what makes the TJ case clocked flatter. The input shaft on a TJ auto is longer the the input shaft on a XJ auto and wont fit all the way into the XJ tranny. The input shaft on a TJ manual is shorter though and should fit into a XJ auto no problem.

TJ and XJ t-cases themselves have the same clocking position. The output adapter on the tranny is what makes the TJ case clocked flatter. The input shaft on a TJ auto is longer the the input shaft on a XJ auto and wont fit all the way into the XJ tranny. The input shaft on a TJ manual is shorter though and should fit into a XJ auto no problem.

DAMMIT ROSS DON'T YOU UNDERMINE MY FALSE INFORMATION.

but yea, ross is right, i wasnt thinking

DAMMIT ROSS DON'T YOU UNDERMINE MY FALSE INFORMATION.

but yea, ross is right, i wasnt thinking

:moon:

I learned the hard way when trying to swap my Stak 3spd in. It was outta a TJ auto and the input shaft was ~3/8" too long and was keeping the case from sitting all the way into my AW4.

for what its worth, i cut the input on mine and it works fine. really easy too. just put an electric drill on the front output, put it in 4lo, and it spins pretty fast, then just cut carefully into the input shaft. i would recommend covering everything including that seal with rags or something cause crap goes everywhere. if it has the wide chain and a sye, i would cut it and put it in.

Both jeeps are 98s, and both are 6 cyl. TJ is a stick while the XJ is an auto. Both have AC... Dunno if any of that matters or not.

sounds like the case should fit. i'd just mock it up and see. it's easier to take the case out to put the sye in anyway. plus it's only what 6 bolts and it's pretty light.

Back