• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Longer Parking Brake question

McGraw

NAXJA Forum User
I'm all about done installing my 4.5'' lift kit on my 2000 XJ. I still need to add longer parking brake. I know that the YJ ('91 and newer, passenger side # 52007522) is often used.

I was wondering if any of you had kept your original passenger side line from the XJ and switch it to the drivers side. Then added the YJ line for the passenger brake.

The problem it think is that YJ rod connecting at the underbody is shorter then the XJ. Any ideas how I could use both the XJ and YJ ebrake lines and do a small quike adapter?? (My XJ passenger XJ brake line is like new, and yould save 40$ by keeping it).

Thanks for any advice!

my dad has a 98, assuming yours is the same why not just relocate the e-brake bracket? on his xj there is easily enough slack from the front cable to move the whole bracket towards the rear a few inches and give the needed slack for your stock cable. cheap and easy.

mine is a 90, i have no choice but to buy two longer cables due to the design.

Did a simple modification! Cut the very end of the cable (where the metal sleeve is) that is attached at the braket. Then put a new metal sleeve over the cable at the same distance as the one found on the cherokee, crushed it and voilà! Simple modification that took a few minutes.

Now I have my Cherokee original passenger side cable and the YJ cable at the driver. A lot more easy then the other write ups that I saw!

Kind of looked liked the image I photoshoped!
cable_modified_3.jpg

I'm all about done installing my 4.5'' lift kit on my 2000 XJ. I still need to add longer parking brake. I know that the YJ ('91 and newer, passenger side # 52007522) is often used.

I was wondering if any of you had kept your original passenger side line from the XJ and switch it to the drivers side. Then added the YJ line for the passenger brake.

The problem it think is that YJ rod connecting at the underbody is shorter then the XJ. Any ideas how I could use both the XJ and YJ ebrake lines and do a small quike adapter?? (My XJ passenger XJ brake line is like new, and yould save 40$ by keeping it).

Thanks for any advice!

My 2001 XJ is at 4" and uses the stock parking brake cable. To get the extra length needed, I move the parking brake bracket rearward a couple of inches. Works fine with no binding.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/4114538730/in/set-72157605049387729
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/3904453971/in/set-72157605049387729/

Back