• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission problems

svtkid

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone. Im new to the site. I joined so I could figure out some issues with my jeep. I have a 87 XJ 4.0 with the AW4 auto. I drove the the jeep all winter with no problems, the tranny and 4wd system worked fine. But when it warmed up it started running funky, so I parked it. It sat for about 4 months. Well I replaced a few engine parts that were bad and went to drive it the other day and the transmission wouldnt shift. It drives fine in reverse, but when you put it in drive it doesnt move. Its acting as if its stuck in 3rd gear. The converter doesnt slip, it just wont shift into 1st or 2nd like it should. However if I manually put it in 1st it drives in 1st fine and then will jump straight to 3rd if I manually put it to 3rd or drive. The fluid is new and it never did this before. Any help is appreciated.

theres a lot of great info around here about the aw4, use google and add naxja to the end of your search inquiry....

sounds like an electronic issue, but cant say for sure, lots of misnomers, bad nomenclature and etc in forums. search is the only way to go.

Very good possibility the fuse for the Transmission Control Unit is blown or it's connector is corroded. It's an inline fuse below the glovebox under the dash. It's wrapped in yellow tape. Check that first.

Back