• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical gremlin

Squidmonkey

NAXJA Forum User
I did some searching around in the forums, wasn't able to find anything with the question I got. I did find some stuff that I will also check as well, but I am curious about a few things as well.

I have a 93 I6 automatic. My rear main was leaking, and not having the time to deal with it, I took it to the shop ORW recommended. The guy replaced it for me while I was at work, no problem. After that I started having some problems with starting. I suspected my starter motor or something else since he had to remove that in order to change the seal. To be safe I took the battery to autozone, they tested it, said it was good, tested my whole system, said it was good. After a few more days of having intermittent starting issues, I still felt it might be the starter, so took it out and had them check it. Said it was good. The jeep will take a jump start, so I decided to try the battery again. Had autozone check it again, and this time they said it was bad and I got a replacement. I'm still having problems.

I'm starting to think i got a slow drain on my battery. I've disconnected the battery and checked resistance between the negative and positive leads and have 1.8OHMS, and obvious short of some sort. If I go into the engine bay fuse panel, and disconnect the fuse block fuse, the short goes away. I've removed every fuse from the in cabin fuse block, I still have the short. I'm thinking it might be the fuse block, or the cables leading into it that might need to be replaced/checked.

What should the resistance readings between the positive and negative terminals be, and does anyone have any other ideas I should check for?

I apologize if my ramble was hard to follow, i XXXX up english sober. I do appreciate the help.

Try disconnecting the hot wire from your battery to the starter motor ... see if you still have the short.

If the short goes away ... the mechanic might have hooked up your starter wrong.

Just an idea ...

Back