• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Fan write up

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i have been wanting to do this mod for sometime now and i finally bought the fan and started it.

This is what i have purchased.

FFD 14 inch fan 2600 CFM @ 2800 RPM 3.1 mount depth=$100
Flex-a-lite fan adjustable thermostat=$80
Flex-a-lite fan override switch=$20
New fan shroud=17 bucks (partsgeek.com)
5/16-24 by 1/2in. long bolts=$4.00 (lowes)
Steel 3/8in. by 1/4in. long spacers=$1.39 (lowes)

This was before seeing if it would fit in the jeep (key word, BEFORE) lol
fan2.jpg

Found out it wouldn't fit with the clutch fan studs :(, so i had to remove them. This was very simple, all you have to do is put two nuts on the stud and then start loosening the nut that is closest to the motor and this will extract the studs.
studextraction.jpg

Then you will put in the 5/16-24 1/2in. long bolts to replace the studs on the old mech fan pully.
pullybults.jpg

So after figuring out that the fan wouldnt fit i had to trim the bottom part of the shroud to make it fit closer to the radiator.
fanmod.jpg

after doing that trimming job i now have about 1/4in. from fan to the pully :)

after doing that I started to wire up the thermostat
fanthermostat-1.jpg

and here is where i mounted the override switch (and the switch has an led to let you know when its on.
fanswitch.jpg

got it all wired up and let me tell you holly S***! my motor temp go up to 190 sitting in the garage with the grille off fan kicked on and brought it down to 181 in about 10 seconds. By the way i have a 180 degree t-stat. This fan is definatley worth the money. Now i just want to get jeeperjohn's motor mounts and call it a day :).

Thanks again john for helping out with the wiring.

yea not that hard at all. It just took me a while because I am not electrical savey haha. I was able to get the illiminated switch hooked up and wire the controller but didnt know how to wire it into an ignition source.

All in all it was fairly simple

Thanks john this is kinney :) and yea that green toggle only turns it on and off when you want it turned on before the controller kicks it on, it will not turn off the fan if its being controlled by the controller. So i think i might need to put in another switch.

yea my switch will only turn on and off the fan manually if the controller hasnt already started controlling the fan

thanks for posting this kdub - i've been wanting to do something like this too. i am concerned about clearance tho... is that right that you have 1/4" clearance between fan and pulley? i'm running stock motor mounts, that small of clearance would worry me, but that's just me :) i'd be interested in how much clearance you have after changing to the new mounts if you wouldn't mind posting. also, are you using a t-case drop or anything else that lowers your xmission? tia, Otter

just got the fan and neutral safety switch rebuilt and the beast is running now. I drove it to work which is like 10 miles in stop sign and light hell haha and it was 91 degrees with a/c on high the engine temp got to 203 and that was it once i turned the a/c off it cooled right down.

hey, excellent write up :), got some questions if you don't mind, as you inspired me at doing the same.

- I live overseas where it reaches 113F in summer, you think an electric fan can handle that?
- did you notice any improvement in power or engine response with the clutch fan gone.

- would a 16'' fan fit in the factory shroud or it must be a 14''? why is everyone doing this using the factory shroud, what are its advantages.?

- I'm not very clear on what you used for fan control, a thermo switch somewhere in the water line? I am running a 180 thermostat , i need something that would cause the fan to kick in at around 185. i feel that whenever the jeep goes beyond 200F performance deteriorates.

- where can i buy this FFD fan, their website looks odd!!

Back