• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case temperature?

Talyn

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know how hot it should get? 2000 XJ NV242, AW4, 4.7L. After a bit of driving around town then a 15 minute drive on the interstate @ ~75 mph mine is showing around 200* F. Transmission is showing around 170*, but that has a cooler. Just wondering if there is something to be worried about.

That seems pretty warm to me. It's all mechanical drive, not hydraulic, so you shouldn't have heat buildup from shear forces. IIRC, after a few hundred miles of towing a 1 ton pop-up, my NP231 was warm, but not that hot.

I'd be wondering in the oil pump was failing.

seems like the case should be fine. I've seen a 231 in an XJ go for over a year with little to no fluid in it. It gave plenty of warning when it was getting worn, (clunking in and out of 4WD). I wouldn't worry about it. Check your fluid a couple times just to be sure its not metallic, but you should be fine.
Interesting though on your temp observations. Maybe if we keep this up long enough, we can start a reference point for the future. What kind of sensor did you install and where on the case did you put it?

Wouldn't scare me. It's attached to a heat generating unit, the trans, and is close to the exhaust. I've been under lots of Jeeps that customers drove to the dealership and went immediatley up on the rack. It's hot under there.

Yes, it is an IR gun. I don't have a sensor installed in the case. There isn't many spots to put a hole for a sensor. I suppose one could get an adapter and use the drain plug, but that would be in harms way.

I'd love to see an immersion sensor installed to test the fluids actual temp. I'm guessing a sensor attached to an external hex to replace the fill would be nice. But then again, a reading of the external temp of the case is most likely just as accurate. I'm sure in the industry there is a stick on heat sensor and digital transducer package that would work great. I wish I was still taking instrumentation, my instructor had a boat load of industrial catalogs in his office.

Back