• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

proper renix fuel pressure

2stix

NAXJA Forum User
just failed smog check miserably. so i am going over everything. when i checked my fuel pressure, i have 29 at idle and 37 after unplugging the pressure regulator. i read it should be 31/39. am i close enough, or is there a problem?

It varies depending on altitude, but it sounds pretty close. I would not expect that a couple of pounds would effect running very much.

Post up your test results. Most times the issue is the O2 sensor or a plugged cat, with the sensor being many times more likely.

thanks old_man. yes i have a new cat and o2 sensor on order, should be here in a few hours. just want to go over as much as possible while i am at it. it has been a while since i have done much besides typical tune up. so i want to test things like TPS, CPS, and so on. might even remove and clean the injectors. i found alot of very thin dirt in the fuel filter when i cut it open. (2 years old/10k miles). i will try and post test results. by looking at it, i seem to think it is running very rich, but the one spark plug i removed didnt show that at all.
the guy running the test kept telling me to check my fuel pressure. not sure why, but thats what he said. i don't think a couple pounds low will cause the problem, but what do i know?

thanks old_man. yes i have a new cat and o2 sensor on order, should be here in a few hours. just want to go over as much as possible while i am at it. it has been a while since i have done much besides typical tune up. so i want to test things like TPS, CPS, and so on. might even remove and clean the injectors. i found alot of very thin dirt in the fuel filter when i cut it open. (2 years old/10k miles). i will try and post test results. by looking at it, i seem to think it is running very rich, but the one spark plug i removed didnt show that at all.
the guy running the test kept telling me to check my fuel pressure. not sure why, but thats what he said. i don't think a couple pounds low will cause the problem, but what do i know?
A couple of pounds low should make it run lean. As for cleaning injectors, the best method I have found in over 40 years of wrenching is a can of BG44K in the tank.

well i thought about the BG44K but i have a full tank and it would take me a while to burn it off. (i dont get out much) and i didnt want it in the tank when i weld on the new cat and install the 02 sensor. not to mention having it in there when i re-test. not sure what affect it would have, but i would think it would put more inpurities into the exhaust untill it is all burned through.

as for it burning rich/lean/whatever, i still need to start with the basics and pull ALL the plugs (only pulled one before the test), and check the entire system. wife and kids just left for sea world so i am off of baby duty and can get to everything. i will post up anything i find. thanks for the help. and i am sorry, i didnt mean to turn this into another "i didn't pass smog" thread. basically just wanted to know about the fuel pressure. but i am not complaining, i am grateful for the extra help.

Back