• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More phreaking death wobble NEWBIE

scgilber77

NAXJA Forum User
greetings all,

I just got back into the jeep game after a five year hiatus. My new rig is a 96 XJ, 3" custom lift, 31s. Previously I have had a couple YJs, XJs, WJ and a TJ, so I am pretty familiar with the basic jeep setup.

My new rig was completely neglected and my last hurtle is the dreaded death wobble. I already know better than to start replacing random parts, so who makes the best all inclusive trackbar replacement setup that includes a stabilizer, brace and new bushings.

Thanks
Scotty

PS-this was a hunters special that sat in a barn for a couple years, came with an extra drivetrain, but havent needed to replace more than maintenance items so far.

IMG_20110512_185434.jpg

clayton, rockkrawler, RE extreme duty. I personally went from a RE extreme duty to a claytonHD and the clayton is beefier than that of the RE and it rides alot smoother with the Jonnyjoint, plus uses 9/16's bolts on axle and bracket end.

You said you know better to throw parts at it and the first thing you’re going to do is buy an aftermarket track bar? While I agree most death wobble comes from bad track bars don’t you think you should diagnosis it first?

at 3", your at the end of the stock trackbar's range of motion.... this makes the joint wear out quickly... resulting in slop, and sometimes death wobble.

at 3", MANY people run the stock trackbar.... replacing it is a good choice, hardly throwing money away.

HOWEVER, slop at the joint, can be felt by putting your hand on the trackbar and feeling, a sloppy TRE at the trackbar is very easy to find.

If your going aftermarket, i can highly reccomend Rock Krawlers bomb proof track bar and mount. The bars solid stock, with a heim at one end and a bushing at the other. If i ever broke the bar itself or the mount, ill kick myself in the balls.

Back