• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting Truss Angle Question

Finaltheorem47

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I'd like to know what angle you think is better to mount the truss? Is it better to have it normal to the road or is it better to have it normal to the axle itself? I think it is stronger if I make it normal to the axle (parallel to the diff cover surface), but I'm worried it will look weird when I have the axle's caster set a couple degrees (6-10ish?) up to account for the angle of the tail shaft on the transmission to reduce driveline vibrations.

Sorry if this is confusing, here are some pictures, basically its 3 different perspective views of the truss sitting normal to the axle and then what it'd be normal to the road.

1006479p.jpg

1006480b.jpg

1006481a.jpg

1006482l.jpg

1006483.jpg

1006484r.jpg

In a perfect world, normal to the ground would be better. The truss would be supporting the tubes directly on top of them to keep them from bending upwards. Also, if say link mounts were to be attached to the top of the truss, having a flat level surface would be nice too. I dont think it would make a noticeable difference between either way. The truss will still do a better job of supporting the tubes then with no truss at all. My truss on my HP60 is normal to the ground.

I've looked at a few picture examples from some businesses that do trusses and from what I can see is that they are all welded on so that they are normal to the axle, not the road.

Lots of build-ups that I've read with the truss being used to support the upper links had the truss normal to the axle. I would think either way should work fine.

I've looked at a few picture examples from some businesses that do trusses and from what I can see is that they are all welded on so that they are normal to the axle, not the road.

That's so the axle is not vehicle specific. Same would be true of spring pads, but if you have a Jeep with lots of lift, and a double cardan rear shaft (SYE-type yoke installation), you want the pads and, preferably, the truss to be ground oriented (set to optimize their respective purposes).

I think in line with the bump stops is the strongest way to mount it because that's where the force will be applied if you sky out the vehicle and bottom out on landing.

Lots of build-ups that I've read with the truss being used to support the upper links had the truss normal to the axle. I would think either way should work fine.

I know you from SVTP.

I think I'll take your advice and go with welding it parallel to the bumpstops aka normal to the ground. It does seem like in this case that it's not as crucial though if I weld it either vertical or 6 degrees off of vertical lol, vs if I was running an SYE.

Well, I would tend to think it would depend on what you are doing with it. With rock crawling, where you would have slow speeds and most of the force would be normal to the ground, or where you will be bottoming out on your bumpstops, I would say you want the truss inline with these forces and put the truss normal to the ground.

If you were doing go-fast stuff, where you are doing high speed and a lot of the forces are being transferred both up and backwards, I would say put the truss as close to inline with the forces as possible, so you have the best possible defense against bending.

Just my thoughts.

Back