• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Right Rear Turn Signal and Reverse Lights Out

Hey there, I've got a '98 XJ with the 4.0 pretty much straight stick; about 150k miles.
I'm forward deployed and my wife drives the green machine as a DD and have the luck of being back in Italy with her for awhile.
So here's the story.
I braved out the evaporator replacement a few weeks ago; the procedures and threads on this site were tremendously helpful!
Got it done (and replaced the heater core while at it).
A few days later, the right rear turn signal quit working. I've got the FSM and suspected the ground wire under the rear seat as the first suspect. Tweaked around with that a bit and it was snug. Had the XJ running with the right rear turn signal apart and wiggled around then the light started working again.
A couple weeks later, while driving up a bumpy hill with bottled water in the back, one of the water bottles fell over and banged up against the right rear inner quarter panel and the right rear turn signal quit working again.
So here's what I have: hazard flasher works on the other three lights, the parking lights all work, but the reverse lights don't (and I recently adusted the NSS and it's good to go).
Is there any commonality between the reverse lights and right rear turn signal?
I've got good ground on the connectors, but no hot 12v to the right rear turn signal fixture (including the connector behind the inner panel).
Suggestions most appreciated. Troubleshooting done with a Fluke DVM.

So I went back at it again. Reverse lights problem was simply adjustment needed of the NSS switch (which I overhauled a couple years ago). It seems that I probably moved it out of alignment when pulling off the shifter knob as part of doing the A/C evaporator job.

Everything works but the right rear turn signal. I rang out the ground to the light fixture and its good to both the body at the tailgate latch and the trailer hitch. Also, re-checked the connector in the right rear quarter panel inside, and inspected the splice and ground under the rear seat. I'm just not getting the +12v to the right rear turn signal, and the flasher relay flashes really fast when the turn signal switch is in the right turn position (front right light works).
Any ideas? I'm thinking I'm going to have to take the whole interior apart to figure this out!:rattle:

Use your volts/ohms multi meter and and probe for 12 volts at the bulb socket and at every wire plug. You may have to remove a few screws and pull aside some plastic trim panels, that's not hard. Common causes are corroded bulb sockets or wire plugs, damaged wires, chafed insulation causing a short, or a faulty trailer light plug adapter.

Okay I found the problem, posting for others use.
Coincident that the brake light and turn signal quit working at same time. I was T/S focused on the turn signal. Brake light was just a burnt bulb!

Turn signal problem I traced back from the right rear fixture and ended up at connector 200 under the dash. I had no desire to mess with that! So then I realized that gee, when I replaced the evaporator core and pulled out the dash, I lowered the steering column. Lowered the steering column again (removed the two nuts under the dash that hold it up), took the steering column plastic covers off, disconnected the tilt cable and found the top connector to the multi-function switch was a little loose. Tightened it up and it fixed the problem. Obviously, when I lowered the steering column the first time during the evap core job, I pulled it loose.
Lesson RE-learned when T/S, always go back to what you fiddled with last!:idea:

Back