• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which OEM Front Springs?

flint54

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any way to determine, from the VIN, the spring rate of the original front coils? VIN = 1J4FF48SX1L518620. Vehicle is 2001 4D Sport. Coils have no marks at all, but I am confident they are the originals. No build sheet available. Thanks!!!

There is usually a build sheet hidden inside the vehicle assuming the previous owner didn't find it and keep it.
In older XJs it's been under the back seat or the front seat inserted into the spring and frame. Haven't found mine hidden yet in my '98, but I kept the dealer documentation from when I purchase mine new and then downloaded the list of ALL the items my Jeep came with which listed the factory codes.
I am at work right now; so when I get home I will look up the website where I downloaded mine.

Original equipment coil spring rate is supposedly 147 lb/in rate. UpCountry package springs have a higher spring rate than stock springs.

ZJ with 4.0 is supposedly 190 lb/in rate front and rear.

Read the FAQ's. The 12th one down deals with springs. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1013847

Last edited:
Thank you, I read the FAQ first but it told me nothing about the coil spring rates, and nothing about learning them from the VIN.

As I said initially, there is no build sheet. I am looking at a build sheet from a different vehicle, and it lists the following for front springs:
LH #787
RH #111
LH Wt 0854
RH Wt 0710

So, it would appear that even having the build sheet doesn't provide one with the spring rates, and it also appears that the LH and RH coils are different. Anyone have the decoder for these numbers? Thanks.

The build sheet does not indicate coil spring rates or factory part numbers. 1995-2001 they are just 2 spring rates for 4.0 L Cherokees, stock and UpCountry.

Left and right coil springs are part number labeled exactly alike, so they are no left or right side coil springs (or leaf springs).

The build sheet codes are probably inventory or warehouse location numbers. They are not Jeep part numbers.

Last edited:
The build sheet does not indicate coil spring rates or factory part numbers. 1995-2001 they are just 2 spring rates for 4.0 L Cherokees, stock and UpCountry.

Left and right coil springs are part number labeled exactly alike, so they are no left or right side coil springs (or leaf springs).

The build sheet codes are probably inventory or warehouse location numbers. They are not Jeep part numbers.

There is a right and left front spring.From my 2000/left#5200 1119FK,right#5200 1118FJ!

Back