• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diagnosis needed for front driver wheel

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
For months, I've been getting intermittent squeaking while pulling out of parking spots with the wheel clocked to the right. The front driver wheel would make a rhythmic squeaking when turned at low speeds, but not on moderate speed turns or while rolling straight. Today after a road trip it started sounding worse like a grinding almost (as if the brake shoes were cutting the rotors) when pulling out of a spot with the wheel turned right. it was even doing this while coming to a slow stop. I made it home ok, and it wasn't doing it back my road. THEN, I clocked the wheel full left, turned and full right, and the grinding sound came back. it's definitely rhythmic, and definitely while applying the brakes, not just while rolling.

The tie rod end on that wheel has a smashed grease bladder/rubber, but I can't "see" anything else that looks odd. When it comes to heavy duty stuff like steering components and stuff I'm very inexperienced and ignorant. I don't have tools to do anything beyond water pumps, alternators, brakes, muffler work, etc... so I'm probably going to have to get a local guy to work on it if it's something big (thinking it is). It's a 96 231 with abs and about 194k on it. Please post any info so that I don't get screwed by the man when I break down and bring it to someone :)

update: I jacked it up this morning and could feel no play in the wheel either side to side or up and down. the sound definitely seems to be coming from the pads/rotor and is not the "shield". While turning the hub with it jacked up, I can feel/hear the sound and it seems like something scraping. I can't get it to the regular guy to inspect today so that will prob. have to wait til next week. I was going to just do pads and rotors since they're definitely not helping matters (decent pits, nothing looks left that can be turned down). The sound seems to go away after driving straight and braking for a while, but then after a sharp, slow turn to the left, the sound comes back when slowing to a stop. i really don't want to throw parts on it though if it's something bigger, and will just end up wrecking the rotors/pads/caliper.

since it seems to be affected by turning, common sense tells me it has to be something other than the rotors/pads because that is all one solid assembly that shouldn't be affected by the wheel being turned or not. does that make sense, or when you turn the wheels can the mechanical braking components be affected in some way? any help appreciated

Assuming it's a 4WD, are you sure it's not one of your front axle shaft u-joints? Given the symptoms you describe it's the first place I'd look. Look at each cap- you may be able to see rust streaks or other potential wear evidence. It's always helpful if you tell folks what year your rig is, along with other information relevant to the problem (axle type. disco or non-disco front end, xfr case type, etc. After the U-joint I'd check the wheel bearings. While you have it jacked up try to see if there is any play at all, either vertically or laterally. Hope this helps.

Assuming it's a 4WD, are you sure it's not one of your front axle shaft u-joints? Given the symptoms you describe it's the first place I'd look. Look at each cap- you may be able to see rust streaks or other potential wear evidence. It's always helpful if you tell folks what year your rig is, along with other information relevant to the problem (axle type. disco or non-disco front end, xfr case type, etc. After the U-joint I'd check the wheel bearings. While you have it jacked up try to see if there is any play at all, either vertically or laterally. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply! I listed the year and 4x4 info at the end of the first post originally (it's a 96 with the 231). The front axle is the dana 30, I believe. My second post mentions that I found no play in the wheel while jacked up. I'll definitely check the caps though for the signs you mentioned.

all 4 caps on the axle ujoint look fine. If it wasn't for the "when turning" aspect of the whole thing, I'd say it's definitely the rotors/pads. Have about 4mm left on the thinnest part of outside pad. Couldn't check inside properly since it started raining and it was jacked up precariously in a muddy driveway. wheel is back on. unless anyone posts any other ideas, I'll probably just have it checked out on monday if possible. admittedly, i've probably neglected pads/rotors for quite a while just checking them through the wheels thinking that they're still fine for quite a while. also noticed a good bit of dust on the wheel but of course that doesn't mean much if it's a different part in the system that's causing the extra wear.

Back