• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

on the outerbanks and my xj is overheating

buzxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am on vacation on ocracoke and I was out on the beach every day for the past two weeks. No overheating probs...that's a first! Yesterday it started overflowing from radiator cap and overheating, turning the heat on did not bring it down before the coolant started to spill. I let it cool off and added coolant some oil, and it seemed to start up ok. Today I got to the beach and it started to overheat again. When I turn on the heat to cool it down...heat is not hot air, it feels like ac almost. Is the radiator clogged, tstat fried, I dont know and I am supposed to drive back to Ohio this weekend! Any help would be great, thanks. Buz

99 xj 4.0 3" lift w/31" tires

I am on vacation on ocracoke and I was out on the beach every day for the past two weeks. No overheating probs...that's a first! Yesterday it started overflowing from radiator cap and overheating, turning the heat on did not bring it down before the coolant started to spill. I let it cool off and added coolant some oil, and it seemed to start up ok. Today I got to the beach and it started to overheat again. When I turn on the heat to cool it down...heat is not hot air, it feels like ac almost. Is the radiator clogged, tstat fried, I dont know and I am supposed to drive back to Ohio this weekend! Any help would be great, thanks. Buz

99 xj 4.0 3" lift w/31" tires

Sounds like your water pump isn't circulating coolant to the heater core. Either that, or you are so low on coolant that it can't. My bet is on a bad water pump. I got the same symptoms when the water pump went bad on my F250.

Back