• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gauge cluster shops?

xj dreamin

NAXJA Forum User
i was wondering if anyone on here knows of a gauge cluster shop. a while ago, i changed the dummy light cluster on my SE for a gauge piece to monitor my vitals since i get real paranoid with those things. Reason why i'm looking for such a shop is to legitimately change the mileage on my odometer since right now i have around 120k miles and the new to me cluster has 176k as of today. other reason is that i dont think my temp gauge is working properly. i checked the temp with my thermo gun on the waterneck and it reads like 10-15 degrees hotter on the gauge than the gun. the sensor is a dealer piece and i know it works because the other kragen piece i had read even higher so i can imagine its the gauge now.

As far as the temp gauge is concerned, 10-15 degrees difference may be normal. The temp sender is in the back of the head, and is reading direct water temperature. Your gun is reading the outside of the thermostat housing. When I was fighting a cooling issue, I took various readings throughout the system. Consistently, my gauge indicated 3-8 degrees higher than what my temp gun indicated at the thermostat housing.

I'd be more inclined to get a different external temperature gauge. That is what I've done, and opted for a 270 degree dial, in order to see the full picture.

David Bricker / SYR

X2 on north hollywood speedo. Talk to kevin he has the cluster for my RX7 right now and is re calibrating the tach for me. the shop I use to work at uses them for all of there guage concerns including custom guages. cant support them more.

mine is a 95. even if it were like the 88-90 i wouldn't do it. i don't want the buyer to think it has the wrong amount of miles when the time comes to sell it. i wan't a legit document stating that it was done legitimately.

might be hard to get shops to do that now days but you never know they tend to not want to change it if they dont have exact mileage it could hold them liable. i know even being a Ford dealer we were never allowed to by Ford to change even if new odometer. very touchy subject with legality of the situation

Mine was a decent amount higher when I swapped it in, Just tape pics and note it down. Or keep your cluster for when you sell it, ha.

Back