• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB/HAM radio / UHF something? Antenna coax question

coueshunter

NAXJA Forum User
I have an antenna that was mounted on my jeep when I got it. It has coax running but it appears to be a tiny connection. I tried to show it best as possible. Anyone know what exactly this goes to?

Seems smaller then a CB, so maybe a UHF type police radio? Ham radio?

oops.. ya posting now...

IMAG0913.jpg

IMAG0914.jpg

IMAG0915.jpg

That is too small to be a UHF connector found on CB radios AM; that looks to be a SMA connector which can be found on HT's (Ham Radio walkie talkie) for 2 meter (144 Mhz) and 70 cm (440 Mhz) FM.

That is too small to be a UHF connector found on CB radios AM; that looks to be a SMA connector which can be found on HT's (Ham Radio walkie talkie) for 2 meter (144 Mhz) and 70 cm (440 Mhz) FM.

Kind of what I was thinking.

Can I just change the connector out? Will the antenna also need ot be changed? It is mounted on the roof so I think it will be quite the task.

I would guess this connector a 1/2" connector and I remember a CB being 3/4" -7/8"

Depends on what frequency the antenna for,post a pic of it!

Kind of what I was thinking.

Can I just change the connector out? Will the antenna also need ot be changed? It is mounted on the roof so I think it will be quite the task.

I would guess this connector a 1/2" connector and I remember a CB being 3/4" -7/8"

Very doubtful the
antenna can be used unless you have a Ham License.
Better to just get the proper antenna for the frequency you are planning to talk on.
CB is 26.965-27.405 AM.

Can't really make out the connector. Kinda looks like a SMA. Could be old cell also.

There is a number on the coax (wire), if you post that up, we could give you an idea whether you can use that again. I'm also curious about the antenna, don't forget measurments (like a ruler next to it).

So whatcha thinking? Do you want to install a CB and were looking to use the existing antenna, or just curious before you yank it out and put a body plug in the roof?

-Ron

Can't really make out the connector. Kinda looks like a SMA. Could be old cell also.

There is a number on the coax (wire), if you post that up, we could give you an idea whether you can use that again. I'm also curious about the antenna, don't forget measurments (like a ruler next to it).

So whatcha thinking? Do you want to install a CB and were looking to use the existing antenna, or just curious before you yank it out and put a body plug in the roof?

-Ron

Ill be installing a CB. I was pretty sure I could not reuse the antenna. It is only a foot tall but mounted right on the roof. So It will probably have to be removed and coax pulled. The Coax is ran around the window and down to the center console

Back