• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Fan and A/C Operation

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
I am sure I read somewhere that the electric fan is designed to come on when ever the A/C is engaged. I'm not sure if this is correct or not could someone confirm that. My electric fan is definetly working and comes on when temps approach 215F on the dash gauge but doesn't come on with the A/C alone.
2001 XJ, I6 4.0, AW4, AC, 4WD

Yes it should turn on when you turn on the a/c. That is what helps keep the motor cooler once the a/c clutch engages. Having the a/c on puts a lot of load on the motor and therefore will make your temp rise faster.

I am sure I read somewhere that the electric fan is designed to come on when ever the A/C is engaged. I'm not sure if this is correct or not could someone confirm that. My electric fan is definetly working and comes on when temps approach 215F on the dash gauge but doesn't come on with the A/C alone.
2001 XJ, I6 4.0, AW4, AC, 4WD

IIRC there was a design change around 2000 where the fan doesn't come on immediately after the compressor... It comes on when the A/C system pressure increases above a designated pressure.

Thanks for the info. So does that mean if I had a slight leak on my AC the electric fan might not come on. The only reason I ask is I get a slight smell inside the jeep that seems to be coming from the vents regardless of whether the A/C or heater is on or off. The A/C seems to blow fairly cold but perhaps not quite as good as it use to.

Since you said that the fan comes on when the coolant temperature is >215* then you know that the problem is not the fan.
If you can locate a FSM for your year Jeep you could do some trouble shooting with a VOM. The pressure transducer that turns the fan on may not be working properly.

Thanks for all the great info, I will check the pressure transducer switch and follow the link for checking the C90 to pin 13. I still wonder if I do have a leak in my A/C if that is the reason it is not triggering the switch because the leak is acting has a pressure relief valve.

Back