• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electric fan help

Yup. A vendor did a test here measuring flowrates to compare his 3 e-fan setup to. The 99+ OEM unit actual blows in excess of 2000 CFMs (2500+ I wanna say). As long as your electrical system is up to par to handle the amp load, you could ditch the mechanical and run 2 of these. Otherwise, people have had great results with his kit. Search webdog.

To your question, many aftermarket Vendors offer the electric fan replacement. Dorman being one. After looking at a good many of them, Either pull one from the JY or bite the bullet and spend the $220+ at the Dealer for a factory unit.

As a note, if your electric fan starts running erratically, like it does not always want to start. Sometimes, when you turn them by hand, you will feel them "cog". By this I mean that it feels like it is going past notches. A DC motor should turn smoothly.

Here is how to reclaim a 97+ Fan Motor.
1. Remove the C-Clip and metal spacer securing the blade to the motor.
2. Remove the blade from the shaft. Tap the motor shaft LIGHTLY to get it off. DO NOT PRY ON THE BLADES, THEY WILL SHATTER!!!!!!
3. Remove the three screw securing the motor to the shroud.
4. There are several tabs that are bent down holding the backing plate. Gently pry these up to release the backing plate.
5. Blow out the built up carbon dust from the inside of the motor. As the motor operates, the brushes wear depositing carbon everywhere. This shorts the segments causing the "Cog" feel.
6. Gently clean between the commutator segments to remove the carbon. A very small scribe works well.
7. Reattach the backing plate by gently bending the tabs back into place.
8. Reattach motor to shroud.
9. Reattach blade.
10. Test.

This is a, usually, one time repair as the tabs holding the back plate on tend to snap off with repeated bendings as they are just thin sheet steel. It is also possible to just buy the motor by itself. Google the part number. It is a Bosch Part.

What year is your truck??

You might get more help if you post this in OEM tech? Or are you looking specifically for an aftermarket better-than-stock set up?

Here's the unit I just put in mine... $67.00 + shipping, and the VDO name has been around for a long time.

I can't really give much feedback as it's only been in there about a month. But I have no complaints. It acts and works just like the factory unit so far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CKLWWI

Back