• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smittybuilt solenoid question. HELP

time2getdirty

my cats breath smells
NAXJA Member
Something is not right. can someone with a smittybilt winch disconnect the positive wire from the battery and put a volt meter in between the positive wire and positive post on battery.

I think my solenoid is toasty.

:anon:

Looks like you have alot of High end equipment listed in your sig..

Well, except.. for what's inside that front bumper:patriot:

Well, except.. for what's inside that front bumper:patriot:

My dad has an XRC8 on the front of his JK and it has done some gnarly pulls without so much as whimpering. A few weeks ago it pulled a heavy*bleep* Arctic Cat four-wheeler 150 feet up a vertical canyon wall. It's also pulled me out of mud up to my door handles, taken him up waterfalls, etc. No problems.

I know that was a little bit of a rant, but in my opinion Smittybilt makes good stuff! :thumbup:

I'm sorry you feel that way, my dad's JK closely resembles the one in the Smittybilt catalog and it performs very very well. I think a Smittybilt is probably better than my Harbor Freight winch that I haven't mounted yet..

True, he ran a Warn on his CJ5 for years and years and years, that thing pulled out some ridiculously stuck trucks out in the sand Dunes. :thumbup:

I got one for x-mas.. and after literally replacing every part on the winch.... they sent me a new one... I will say their customer service is great... I cant say anything good about the winches though.

SO far my New winch has done OK... It was able to spool my rope on where as the other one was not able to do that.

Also IF YOU BUY ONE>> GET THE EXTREME DUTY WARRANTY.. otherwise they really dont want to replace your winch.. just send you parts.

LIke I said they did send me a new winch.. and as of last friday it worked fine. Next winch I buy will be a warn.

It completes the circuit if I put a meter in between meaning that the positive wire from the solenoid is grounded when it shouldn't be.
I have used the winch for the last couple of years and now this.
Smittybuilt has served me well except for making a slow winch and being part of 4 wheel parts. I am fine with the company.

The problem with reading the way you ask is that the voltmeter is very high impedance. The relay will most likely be somewhat lower impedance.

If the relay was an ideal switch, you would measure 0 volts, but you probably read quite a bit more than that. If the relay is good, when you energize the relay, hooked up the way you ask, you should see 12v.

What is your symptom? For the relay to be bad and the reading you are asking about to find the problem, the motor would have to be running all the time.

Last time I used the winch the solenoid started smoking. my dad reads 0 volts and mine reads 12.56 or whatever the battery is. I hate electricity and need to brush up on my vocab before posting another electrical question haha. guess I will plug it in and see if it works.

Back