• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sticking relay on headlight harness mod

rmonte4812

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for some info on an issue I'm having after doing the wiring harness mod from gojeep.
Basically low beams work fine, turn on/off with no issues but when I flick the high beams on then go back to low beams the high beams stay on with the lows. I can tap the relay and the highs turn off. I've tried 3 relays all brand new, hella brand. One says 40a and two others I've tried say 20/40a. I've looked and the wiring a ton of time and am positive it is correct. Anyone else had this problem? Should I try the relay from napa that is listed with the part number in the write up? I'm using hella bulbs, 130/90w. This is on a 98 limited and does not have the day time running lights

How many relays are you using? In his afterthoughts go-jeep suggested four instead of the original two in his write-up. Doesn't really matter -- just curious. In any event, there is no reason that defective relays should be your problem. Insofar as I know, Hella offers top quality components.

I don't know the answer to your problem offhand but offer my congratulations on building a quality harness as opposed to buying the junk from eautoworks. One thought: since the highs go off when you tap the relay, you might have a bit of residual current flowing in the high beam circuit.

Sounds as though there is signal voltage remaining from the high beam steering column switch which keeps the relay engaged.
Next time this happens instead of tapping the offending relay; try measuring to see if there is voltage present on terminals 85 or 86 on the relay (depending upon which is used for the signal).
Your steering column switch return spring could be getting weak or the internal contact are not fully dropping out allowing voltage to continue flowing to the headlight relay.

I had a similar issue on my 1998 that has factory foglights. I had to pull the foglight fuse in the passenger kick panel to get it fixed.

Back