• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 XJ brake fluid

jackate

NAXJA Forum User
I need to have my brake fluid flushed. I was wondering how much to buy, and should I only use OEM fluid from the dealer, I don't want to put in some cheap after market stuff and then have my master cylinder get ruined or something.

DOT 5 brake fluid is even better if you wouldn't mind spending another $4 or $5 for the 2 quarts. Castrol is a good brand of DOT 5, and you will have better fluid in there than the dealership puts in.

And that Motive bleeder looks like a really good one, but you can bleed your system without anything special. Just put a tube in an empty Mayonnaise jar. Put about an inch or two of brake fluid in the jar ... enough to cover the bottom of the tube ... attach the other end of the tube to the bleeder valve for each wheel, and have a friend pump your brake pedal. Watch the fluid coming out of the tube ... when it is clean, and you have no more air bubbles, that wheel's brake line is flushed.

But make sure you keep refilling the master cylinder ... That's important. If you let the reservoir go empty, it will suck air into the brake lines through the master cylinder. Generally, do 3 or 4 pumps on the brake pedal, then check the fluid level ... repeat. If you do get air into the MC, don't worry ... you'll just have to start all over again at the first wheel.

When you are finished with the first wheel, move to the next wheel and do it again.

Do your right rear wheel first, then your left rear, then your right front, then your left front. Do them in that order, and you'll be fine. You can even do this alone if necessary ... I've done it this way for 33 years with no problems. Usually with help, sometimes not.

Here is a picture of the bleeder jar:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p204/cudaeh/mr2/33183f66.jpg

You can even bleed your brakes without taking the wheels off if you don't mind crawling under your vehicle.

Good luck.

Thank you for all the great information from both posters. I know what to do now.

I am sticking with the dot 3 brake fluid, because it has worked fine for 12+ years so I am staying with it.

Kind of like my 12+ year transmisson that has never given me a problem. I stick with the old type dino transmission fluid that is recommenced in the owner manual. I heard rumors of some people who may of gotten the new type synthetic and it trashed their transmission I guess because it was to slippery.

About the only benefits of DOT 5 is that it won't harm paint, has a high boiling point, and it won't attract/absorb water. The water would gather in the lowest point (calipers) and in order to get it out you would have to remove the caliper and put the bleed nipple at the lowest point.

DOT 5 doesn't play well with ABS and you would need to change every rubber seal in your system and completely flush the pipes.

There is a DOT 5.1 which is based on the same formulation as 3 and 4 (non-silicone, glycol based). However it is just a less viscous version of 4 which is used in some modern ABS systems.

Go with DOT 3 or 4.

About the only benefits of DOT 5 is that it won't harm paint, has a high boiling point, and it won't attract/absorb water. The water would gather in the lowest point (calipers) and in order to get it out you would have to remove the caliper and put the bleed nipple at the lowest point.

DOT 5 doesn't play well with ABS and you would need to change every rubber seal in your system and completely flush the pipes.

There is a DOT 5.1 which is based on the same formulation as 3 and 4 (non-silicone, glycol based). However it is just a less viscous version of 4 which is used in some modern ABS systems.

Go with DOT 3 or 4.

That's good to know ... thanks.

And that Motive bleeder looks like a really good one, but you can bleed your system without anything special. Just put a tube in an empty Mayonnaise jar. Put about an inch or two of brake fluid in the jar ...

I made my brake bleeder out of an empty 500mL water bottle. It is lighter and won't break like a mayonaise jar, and you can drill a hole in the top of the plastic cap for the rubber hose. I also wrapped a wire coat hanger around the top and formed a hook to hang from the brake line or suspension parts while bleeding.

Otherwise, montanaman has it exactly correct.

I made my brake bleeder out of an empty 500mL water bottle. ...

That sounds like a great idea ... and I agree with you about the advantages of having a more spill-proof design like a water bottle.

Have you ever had any problems with the brake fluid eating the plastic? I know it's hard on paint.

That sounds like a great idea ... and I agree with you about the advantages of having a more spill-proof design like a water bottle.

Have you ever had any problems with the brake fluid eating the plastic? I know it's hard on paint.

It generally comes in a plastic bottle...

Back