• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 lock washer problem

NJblackdeath4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to remove the hub guts and bearings to get my rotors off to replace them on my '80 Waggy 44.

I got the drive flange and outer spindle nut off but the lock washer in between the 2 spindle nuts is giving me a real hard time. I haven't the slightest idea how to get it out. I can't see anything that would be holding it in and everything I have found online says to just remove it without any details.

It just broke the bottle opener on my leatherman :mad:

Ok so I gave myself some time to defrustrate and worked on the other side. It came of real easy and I found some tiny clamps that worked wonders on the first side.

So.....how do I delete threads?

i see you figured it out. but incase anyone has your issue in the future and sees this thread...

if an outer shaft breaks with enough force. it can swell up the spindle and make the nuts hard to thread on as well as make the lock washer a pain in the ass to take off.

ive had this happen to both sides of my dana44.

if it happens the only way i have gotten the lock washers out is brute force and getting creative with picks, bent screwdrivers and hammers. then once you get it all off. be sure you can slide the washer in its groove as intended and the nuts thread on fairly easily.

I have had to fix threads and grind away some of that groove in the past. a die grinder, small file and patience and the spindle can be re-used.

Back