• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

odd no start condition. stranded on the road...

chpmnsws6

NAXJA Forum User
After driving for a few hours on the highway, the 97 4.0 xj died without warning and will not start. It has 50psi at the rail, 100psi or so of compression in all cylinders, the injector diode lights up when you plug it in, and the coil throws spark. Spark does not go to the wires though. The Rotor spins when you bump the starter and the valves move so I know the timing chain is in tact.

Replaced today-
Crank position sensor
Hall effect sensor
Cap
Rotor
Plugs
Wires

It won't fire with starting fluid either

It's at a small time shop and we are all stumped by it.

Any ideas? We are in a hotel for the night.

Thanks folks!

Try replacing the distributer....my 2000 had the same symptoms. I know I dont have a distributer, but I do have a crank position sensor that rides on a distubter like shaft....what had happened is that the shaft had siezed and rotated the assmebly and now my timing was WAY off. I got close to top dead center with a stick in the number one spark plug hole, replaced the shaft and it started up. Had to take it to the stealership for a "fuel system sychronization" that so they could get the timing perfect...no problems since.

Everything in the distributor is new now, and the Rotor spins. Wish I had a coil on plug ignition right now!

Is the Check Engine Light on ?
Checked all the fuses ?
Checked, replaced, or just swapped around the starter, fuel pump, and ASD relays ?
Inspected the wire harness for damaged wires, loose connectors, chafed/melted insulation especially near the exhaust manifold and near the O2 sensors ?
Tested the coil ?

Is the Check Engine Light on ?
Checked all the fuses ?
Checked, replaced, or just swapped around the starter, fuel pump, and ASD relays ?
Inspected the wire harness for damaged wires, loose connectors, chafed/melted insulation especially near the exhaust manifold and near the O2 sensors ?
Tested the coil ?

x2

Twice the O2 wiring has caused me problems. There's a little 15amp mini fuse in the PDC that will pop - it's the fuse for the ASD relay. Check every fuse, but that's the one that shut me down.

Once the harness dropped down and rubbed through on the drive shaft, and the other time, heat and fatigue fired my wiring inside of the loom wrap, so I couldn't see it, but eventually got it found.

Replaced the coil and it ran.... But now its breaking up. No codes minus the coil malfunction code that's now gone. Coil only lasted 4k miles. Newer oxygen sensor, plugs and wires are 1000 miles old.

I'll have the guy check the O2 sensor wiring. Will probably be picking up the Jeep Friday night if its not done yet. After swinging wrenches for years, it kills me to watch someone else wrench on my vehicles.

X2. I just paid to discover that my kids 97 for whatever reason had no grounds from the wire harness to the body. Consequently, the engine management system was grounding through the taillight. Which became corroded after the kid busted the lense, and the voltage drop was too much. Check your grounds.

Will do! I actually had to add a ground to mine because the factory one wouldn't let the engine crank over.

Back