• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting issue???

musikman43155

NAXJA Forum User
Installed a new starter today, removed the negative ground cable, very simple, by the book. Tried to start XJ & it clicked like the solenoid is bad. Cleaned cennectors & tried again with same clicking. I figured my new started is bad, so I put the old starter back in, now it won't start. So, I try to jump it & motor tries to turn over, but, doesn't start UNLESS I give it gas. Remove old starter again & install new starter & same result. Jeep now turns over, but, doesn't start unless I hold down the gas, then immediately dies the second I remove my foot from the gas pedal.

Jeep is 1997 XJ 4.0 AW4 231

What in the hell is going on?

The starter was making a whoosh, whoosh, whoosh before starting. I left the battery disconnected for about 30 minutes, went out @ crawled around under the Jeep just looking around & then reconnected the battery cables & it started fine. I cant explain it, but, I'm glad it works.

Back