• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ln line fuel pump overheat?

obxxj

NAXJA Forum User
So, let's go back to the stone age for a little while. 1984 Jeep XJ Pioneer. 2.8L carbureted boat anchor now replaced with a carbureted 3.4L chevy crate engine with an electric fuel pump instead of the mechanical fuel pump in the 2.8L.
Cherokee is very happy now except in summer or when worked hard when what appears to be vapor lock occurs only when idling. OEM dime store water temp guage indicates between 210 and 220 when the engine takes a powder and turns off. No funny smells from engine compartment and radiator works fine at speed. Temps at speed around 190 even in summer with A/C on high.
Cherokees of this vintage do get hot under the hood at idle but this one never turned off with the 2.8L. Temps under the hood are just barely higher 3-5 degrees with new 3.4L but I've never run a electric fuel pump under the hood. From there it was banished to a location over the rear differential which is apparently too hot also. When the jeep turns off and then won't start from the heat I find I can spray the electric fuel pump with a hose and the Cherokee starts right up and runs fine.
Question: Where can I locate the electric fuel pump to avoid heat? Or, will a later XJ fuel tank with the fuel pump inside the tank fit my beloved, but carbureted, fossil? Many thanks!
OBXXJ

Back