• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I really need it?

Outlander560

NAXJA Forum User
I'm lifting an 01 jeep cherokee aw4 with a 8.25 in the rear..has a 4.5 clayton lift with LA. Budgets starting to get REALLY tight and I was wondering do i really need to buy rear lift shackles? Or can i just buy a pair of OE replacement shackles? I was told adding an extended shackle to your lift adds extra articulation to the leafs I can understand that but does it have to be done immediatly?

^ x2

Your shackle angle will be bad with 4.5 inch springs regardless of the type of shackle.
But you are correct, a longer shackle will allow more articulation, but there are more factors involved as well.

Plus for the uninitiated.... Cut the shackle height over OEM in 1/2... I.E. a 1-1/2"lift shackle only gives you 3/4" actual lift.

there is a little confusion over this... I too believe and spread this misconseption

usually when they list a shackle as a "1.5" LIFT shackle it is actually 3" taller than stock... BUT you will only get 1.5" of lift out of it IF you have a shackle angle that is pointing 90° from the ground... however if you have a shackle angle of 45° from the ground would would only gain half that (or 3/4")

in my case I have a shackle that lifted my Jeep 1.5" I moved the top mounting hole down about 3.5" and moved it forward about 3" this gave me a perfect angle of right around 45° from the leaf face and gained me right around 1.75" of lift

It would be great if they simply listed the shackles eye to eye length when they sold them...

clayton 4.5" leaves run a little longer than stock. and extended or boomerang type shackle might be needed so the shackle doesnt bottom out when the suspension compresses.

give clayton a call and see what they have to say.

alright thanks guys ktmracer i will give clayton a call see what they recommend. i was thinking about the shackle relocation brackets i was trying to decide between HDoffroads or roughcountrys (which are a little cheaper)....

so i won't get shackles I'll just buy a pair of OE ones and in a little while get the extra coin and buy relocation brackets?

comanche shackles are a little bit longer as well and bolt right in.

so i won't get shackles I'll just buy a pair of OE ones and in a little while get the extra coin and buy relocation brackets?

NO just head to the junk yard and buy a good used set... then maybe you could beef up your existing pack while you are at it

I would be willing to make you a set of brackets for $75

they will not look quite like this as this is the first set I made... I like the way they work I can make them weld in or bolt in

DSCF3554.jpg

as for shackles... these are hard to beat (if we set you up with a custom set of shackle relocation brackets we can dial in the shackle angle AND even the ride height as well

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=204654_0_0_

for stock shackles...

Morris carries them for like $17

Last edited:
I Didn't know the stock ones are trashed, I just didnt want to see you waisting your money. If you cant find any aftermarket shackles for cheap, then get OEs.

Back