• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

column shift

2stix

NAXJA Forum User
i am thinking i would like to swap over to a steering column shift instead of a floor shift. has anyone done this? i heard they came on the MJ, but is it a basic swap with all the linkage, or is there alot of modification involved. if it is a simple swap with slight mods ok, but if it is a hassle, it isnt that important and i will scrap the idea.

Totally do able.

I have not done one. I did convert a manual to an Auto and swapped everything out. I do know you need the column and the guage cluster.

It should not be difficult and almost no modifications should need to happen.

thats pretty much what i figured. was the column shift uncommon in the MJs, meaning hard to find? i would want to do this to my 89 (renix). which years will the guage cluster swap?

thats pretty much what i figured. was the column shift uncommon in the MJs, meaning hard to find? i would want to do this to my 89 (renix). which years will the guage cluster swap?

They are all renix from what I know. I think any one that had an AW4 should work in your rig.

Could probably use a most any GM column of that era as well.

Could probably use a most any GM column of that era as well.

Probably but he may as well find a MJ with it all in it so he can snag EVERY little part.

If you find an MJ with the column shift and it is 4WD, the 4WD shift is still on the floor and it has a tiny piece of trim going over it. I always grin when I see it that way cause it looks so out of place.

i would actually keep the center console, and make cup holders, CB mount, and ? in the open space. but yes, finding a complete Mj would be ideal.

You could do it up to look like the REALLY classy home brew Nash Rambler I saw up here for private sale on a farm a couple of years ago.

Someone thought it would be cool to add the console with shifter from a 70's Firebird. They left the column shifter in place. The console shifter was hooked up to nothing. It did, however, have a beautiful shiny 8-Ball knob on top.

It matched nicely with the ill-fitted Zebra print suede seats (from what I have no idea) with matching headliner and miniature 10-inch chrome steering wheel.

Like I said, REALLY classy.

You could do it up to look like the REALLY classy home brew Nash Rambler I saw up here for private sale on a farm a couple of years ago.

Someone thought it would be cool to add the console with shifter from a 70's Firebird. They left the column shifter in place. The console shifter was hooked up to nothing. It did, however, have a beautiful shiny 8-Ball knob on top.

It matched nicely with the ill-fitted Zebra print suede seats (from what I have no idea) with matching headliner and miniature 10-inch chrome steering wheel.

Like I said, REALLY classy.

so i take it you don't like the idea of swapping to a column shift and leaving the center console? i guess you wouldn't like my 8 ball valve stem caps and chrome side window visors either.

The only column shifts I have seen were in XJ's bought for Police and Government use.

Sorry 2Stiks, I was not trying to dis the idea. Sounds fine to me to keep the remainder of the console.

And I like the 8-ball valve stem caps. You could also use the 6 ball for nitrogen.

Back